Have you ever ground Turkey breast like hamburger?

DoubleRidge

The wife would cut them in strips like some others have mentioned and we all thought it was way better than store bought.
Maybe its because the wild turkey was cooked while still fresh, idk. We have never tried it ground but might consider that in the future.
Yeah...we love it stripped or cut in nuggets and fried....homemade honey mustard dipping sauce....and some fried morels on the side....spring time feast! (Blooming onion dipping sauce is fantastic as well)...never thought about trying it ground.

Creek

Yeah...we love it stripped or cut in nuggets and fried....homemade honey mustard dipping sauce....and some fried morels on the side....spring time feast! (Blooming onion dipping sauce is fantastic as well)...never thought about trying it ground.

That sounds like a home run right there.

double browtine

I shot a hen one fall with my bow back when it was legal. Carried it home, filleted the breast out. Sliced it and put it in buttermilk for a couple hours. Then floured it and deep fried it like chicken tenders. Than hen meat was really tough! That was the last hen I ever shot. She would have been better ground for sure!
A Jake is really good for the table! Marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled!!

Bgoodman30

Most turkey hunters: "It's sacrilegious to even consider grinding a wild turkey breast."

Me: "How do you cook your wild turkey breasts?"

Also Most turkey hunters: "Cut it in strips, batter it, and deep fry it."

I love to turkey hunt and kill turkeys, and I eat what I kill, but I'd rather eat a Butterball. I've tried a hundred different recipes and none of them are that great. If you have to cut something into strips, batter it, and deep fry it, it ain't that great. I like Mega's idea above. Flame away!

We eat a lot of wild turkey and never fry it. Our family go to is Cajun turkey mardi gras.
Recipe: marinate breast in olive oil, lots of worchesthire and Tony's cajun
Saute 1 chopped onion until soft in butter set aside
Fry 1lb bacon chopped set aside
Cut turkey into 1' or less squares and brown in butter with more tonys
Add onion, bacon cook until done and serve over rice. Delicious

2nd fall favorite is Field & Stream wild turkey pot pie. That's a long one. Google it. Amazing

Boll Weevil

Ground turkey breast…yes. The lighter colored ones are turkey and are superb.

1704832106338.jpeg

Tenntrapper

I tried one of the Steve Rhinella(sp) recipes for turkey sausage. It was on one of his TV specials. I tried to get the "amounts" of each spice from the show, but cross referenced with his cookbook. I don't remember which spice it was, but it was waaay to much. Otherwise, it was pretty good. It's been a few years ago, but I remember it having a lot of bacon in it.
Never have tried it again.

Spurhunter

We eat a lot of wild turkey and never fry it. Our family go to is Cajun turkey mardi gras.
Recipe: marinate breast in olive oil, lots of worchesthire and Tony's cajun
Saute 1 chopped onion until soft in butter set aside
Fry 1lb bacon chopped set aside
Cut turkey into 1' or less squares and brown in butter with more tonys
Add onion, bacon cook until done and serve over rice. Delicious
That does sound delicious, but I'm sure it's not lost on you how much stuff you are adding. By the time you add all that stuff to the turkey, cut it into 1" squares, and then further dilute it with bacon and rice, it could be mockingbird or crow. Again, I'm not arguing the importance of eating what you kill, what recipe is best, or if wild turkey is suitable table fare. I'm just saying most turkey hunters act like they'd rather eat wild turkey than a Kobe Wagyu filet mignon, and it's just not that wonderful.

Tenntrapper

That does sound delicious, but I'm sure it's not lost on you how much stuff you are adding. By the time you add all that stuff to the turkey, cut it into 1" squares, and then further dilute it with bacon and rice, it could be mockingbird or crow. Again, I'm not arguing the importance of eating what you kill, what recipe is best, or if wild turkey is suitable table fare. I'm just saying most turkey hunters act like they'd rather eat wild turkey than a Kobe Wagyu filet mignon, and it's just not that wonderful.
I'll agree with you....tough and dry. It's not a flavor issue.
I have tried the fried strips. Not bad, but not great either.
I've smoked a few breasts, and they were pretty good, but again....very dry.

knightrider

I would rather have it than the kungho wagy steak myself

Rakkin6

Yep. Makes awesome white bean chili. While grinding, I douse it liberally with some sort of poultry rub.

Actually makes good burgers also. Gotta be careful cooking them so they don't fall apart.
I always add an egg that I mix with the ground turkey. It keeps the burgers together. Or you can use bread crumbs. They both act like a binder for the meat since it doesn't have the fat content.

deerfever

A no fail for me and the way I like it the best is to put a breast in the crockpot, slow cook it and then shred and BBQ. Makes absolutely great sandwiches! Seems to always turn out tender and is the crowd favorite of ways to prepare it at my house. I have never ground it but the way Mega stated sounds good and worth a try!

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

A no fail for me and the way I like it the best is to put a breast in the crockpot, slow cook it and then shred and BBQ. Makes absolutely great sandwiches! Seems to always turn out tender and is the crowd favorite of ways to prepare it at my house. I have never ground it but the way Mega stated sounds good and worth a try!
That's what I do with the legs. Started doing that about 4 years ago, can't believe all the good bbq I could've had. It's a crowd pleaser

AT Hiker

I grind breast trimmings with the dark meat to make a apple/bacon loose sausage. I have never killed enough turkeys to grind the entire breast.

I dont fry the breast either. Breast are smoked or grilled and untrimmed thighs n legs are used to make Pezole or on the rare occasion, carnitas.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Even waterfowl taste just fine with bacon.

I grind ours most of the time without remorse or regret, ground meat goes further for a family of 10. We have also baked like a butterball a young one I killed in the fall one year and it was just fine too.

Latest posts