Have you ever ground Turkey breast like hamburger?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I raise heritage turkeys to help feed an extended family. I usually supply 8 to 10 for thanksgiving then the rest are fed till spring to maximize the exchange ratio and then send 30 or so to the processors who debone backs, thighs and breasts and grind it all. The heritage birds get fat so the mix has white meat, dark meat and fat in the grind. It's a long way fro wild but we love it. We go thru 200 to 300 lbs a year in burgers, chili, meatloaf, meatballs, tacos. It's really good but needs a little Worcester and brown mustard

megalomaniac

Best stuff ever. Between me and my kids, we take several birds each year, so I grind a couple. I debone the thighs and legs, mix those with the breast, and grind 5 strips of Applewood smoked bacon per 1/2 bird. Makes some of the best turkey burgers you've ever had.

Adding the bacon really makes a difference in keeping it sticking it together and keeping it moist even though cooked completely.

Grinding the legs and thighs alone also makes for some good chili or spaghetti meat.

Spurhunter

Most turkey hunters: "It's sacrilegious to even consider grinding a wild turkey breast."

Me: "How do you cook your wild turkey breasts?"

Also Most turkey hunters: "Cut it in strips, batter it, and deep fry it."

I love to turkey hunt and kill turkeys, and I eat what I kill, but I'd rather eat a Butterball. I've tried a hundred different recipes and none of them are that great. If you have to cut something into strips, batter it, and deep fry it, it ain't that great. I like Mega's idea above. Flame away!

Last edited:

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Most turkey hunters: "It's sacrilegious to even consider grinding a wild turkey breast."

Me: "How do you cook your wild turkey breasts?"

Most turkey hunters: "Cut it in strips, batter it, and deep fry it."

I love to turkey hunt and kill turkeys, and I eat what I kill, but I'd rather eat a Butterball. I've tried a hundred different recipes and none of them are that great. If you have to cut something into strips, batter it, and deep fry it, it ain't that great. I like Mega's idea above. Flame away!
I have to disagree pal, I'd take wild bird any day over butterball. We ate some this week and my family of gals all agreed that it was better than any we had over the holidays.

Spurhunter

I have to disagree pal, I'd take wild bird any day over butterball. We ate some this week and my family of gals all agreed that it was better than any we had over the holidays.
We'll agree to disagree. I will say my first turkey, which was a jake that I plucked and deep fried, was delicious, but generally speaking wild turkey is tough and dry. That's why everyone cuts it in strips and deep fries it. How did you cook yours?

megalomaniac

Spur... it's a lot of work, but produces a very servicable product with better flavor than a butterball...

Scald, gut, and pluck the bird.
brine for at least 12 hours.
stuff cavity with onion, celery, apple slices.
inject the bird with a butter or oil based marinade. Mustard binder on outside of bird then rub with seasoning of choice.
place in a browing bag (super important to retain all possible moisture)
cook at 250 until internal temp 160
rest in bag until cools back down to 90 deg or so

slice and enjoy!

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

We'll agree to disagree. I will say my first turkey, which was a jake that I plucked and deep fried, was delicious, but generally speaking wild turkey is tough and dry. That's why everyone cuts it in strips and deep fries it. How did you cook yours?
What we ate this week was skinned breast. Marinated a day with olive oil and red wine vinegar along with salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne, and blackened seasonings. I did cut 1 breast in strips and the other breast into 2 equal pieces. Fried in the skillet. Wow…. Warmer weather I use the grill. I agree that if it's cooked to long it's like any other meat…..dry

Spurhunter

Spur... it's a lot of work, but produces a very servicable product with better flavor than a butterball...

Scald, gut, and pluck the bird.
brine for at least 12 hours.
stuff cavity with onion, celery, apple slices.
inject the bird with a butter or oil based marinade. Mustard binder on outside of bird then rub with seasoning of choice.
place in a browing bag (super important to retain all possible moisture)
cook at 250 until internal temp 160
rest in bag until cools back down to 90 deg or so

slice and enjoy!
That sounds good, but yes, a lot of work. I do typically bake the breasts in a baking bag.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Best stuff ever. Between me and my kids, we take several birds each year, so I grind a couple. I debone the thighs and legs, mix those with the breast, and grind 5 strips of Applewood smoked bacon per 1/2 bird. Makes some of the best turkey burgers you've ever had.

Adding the bacon really makes a difference in keeping it sticking it together and keeping it moist even though cooked completely.

Grinding the legs and thighs alone also makes for some good chili or spaghetti meat.
Mega
There aare 2 medallions of premium meat, small but delicious on the back above the hips don't forget to include them!
Yep. Makes awesome white bean chili. While grinding, I douse it liberally with some sort of poultry rub.

Actually makes good burgers also. Gotta be careful cooking them so they don't fall apart.
joe
Add a little fat or bacon grease to hold those burgers together and add great flavor!
with better flavor than a butterball...
if y'all ever try a heritage turkey, you will never eat butterball again!
Brine it first, there is no bad way to cook it. We deep fry most but my favorite is in the oil less fryer.
Or started in the smoker and finished in the oil less fryer.
Always tent and rest, they are by far the better bird.

Creek

I call those the 'turkey oysters', and yes, the very best part of the bird!!!!!

If there are any pictures showing these morsels, I would like to see exactly where they are located and approx. size.
I cleaned a few deer before someone told me about the inner loins. Not very big but very yummy.

Here is our youngest son several years ago cleaning a bird. We try to save and use everything we can.
We haven't killed a lot of turkey so that might be why we never noticed what yall are referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_113844565.jpg
    IMG_20180415_113844565.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 13

Creek

Never have a wild bird but I would like to try it.....Wife buys ground turkey and even ground chicken....great in chilli and soup.

The wife would cut them in strips like some others have mentioned and we all thought it was way better than store bought.
Maybe its because the wild turkey was cooked while still fresh, idk. We have never tried it ground but might consider that in the future.

Latest posts