Harpeth River

jb3

I like both. Both have their plus and minus. Honestly, when I waded creeks regularly, it was pretty easy to catchem, especially when using crayfish. No fish would resist them. I do love to be on the lake about an hour before sunset and fish till midnight. Love the glow of the fishing line while using a black light.

basset

we have gotten on at Cliff View several times, that's been our access since the bridge and the water plant closed.

I much prefer creek fishing, wading along and fishing different holes... reminds me of the comment some famous trout fisherman made about going trout fishing because he liked to be in the kind of places where trout lived.

geezer

jb3 said:
Been fishing the harpeth for a while. Me and a buddy float it a lot in the Bellevue area. We've put in off of Old Natchez Trace, Moran Rd, Hwy 100 access, Newsome Station. While in high school, the Little Harpeth (Edwin Warner Park) produced some decent fish from time to time. Also use to fish the South Harpeth (towards Kingston Springs) and Brush Creek (tiny creek with some holes). My favorite is Turnbull (Dickson County). It's just of the interstate (ex 182). I've been lucky the past 30 years to have access to it from a couple different properties and had great success. When floating, we carry two poles each. One has a spinnerbait, topwater, zoom lizard, grub or slider. Best bait is spring lizards or live crawfish.
Yep, Itoo have floated some of those areas, Up until the may floods we could catch some good largemouth and a few brown fish. Ill still go several times a year but here lately have gotten addicted to ky. lake. Black and blue bitsy bug in the spring when the grass starts popping up out of the water=GOOD TIME!!!
And yes, the harpeth does still have crappie. Hard to find, but we do catch 1-2 each trip by accident.

go_okfishin

My favorite river,
IMG00020.jpg

282522844165_0_0.jpg

282522811013_0_0.jpg

20081031100213.jpg

Kimberman

I grew up fishing it. I lived in Franklin from '84-'91, and learned to fish on that river when I was a kid. I still make it back to fish it on occasion, but the river has changed alot over the years. The area I used to fish used to be wadeable, now its wider and alot deeper in those areas.

catman529

go_okfishin, nice fish and it makes me want the summer back that I didn't spend fishing this year....oh well I got next year, don't we all...

Kimberman you must know a lot of the spots...or at least spots that used to be spots, tell me some road names/locations on the river and I'll tell you if I've fished them.

geezer

okfishin that is what the harpeth is all about! Has anyone else noticed a change after the floods? Went several times this summer and couldnt seem to catch the size fish we used to, but it will return.

catman529

I barely fished after the flood, maybe once or twice, I did catch a decent catfish, but a friend of mine caught a 33 inch channel cat that still has me jealous (my biggest is around 21 inch). My suspicion is that some of the golf course ponds emptied their big fish into the river during the flood. And some of the river fish also came into the ponds. I caught some gizzard shad and a koi with my cast net in a retention pond that dried up after only a few days past the flood.

Latest posts