Gun dog training- pigeons needed

Sellis26

I have a Boykin I am training to be a bird dog. The main goal is for duck hunting but there will be some cross over into other things. He is 5 months as of yesterday. I have ordered a pigeon trap that will be here Tuesday but in the mean time I may need to purchase some birds.

I am in need of live pigeons to train with. I have frozen birds that he is retrieving great but want to use live ones for gun introduction.

Any help is appreciated from birds for sale to a place to trap some pigeons.

Thanks - Scott

Attachments

• ABB0A29B-41D7-49D5-AA99-62F50CF8DFE9.jpeg
    ABB0A29B-41D7-49D5-AA99-62F50CF8DFE9.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 35

Sellis26

We went to bridges at night with a long handled net or a small bait casting net. Never had a problem with anyone at night and the birds seem careless in the dark. Just put the net up in front of them and toss a rock or stick up next to them and one or two at a time is bound to fly into the net.
How long of a net? I have heard this theory but it seems like I would need a ladder or something. If not I'm assuming any bridge downtown with sloped sides will work?

Hduke86

I just got one of those painters extended poles and taped my net handle to it with some duct tape. I never did the slope type bridges for simple fact I figured they would fly out seeing me walk up it. Most bridges I snagged them under had straight walls with a little 2-3' setback lip they would perch on. A short ladder wouldn't be a bad idea. See if you can find farmer with grain storage and see if they mind if you snag a few.

Sellis26

I just got one of those painters extended poles and taped my net handle to it with some duct tape. I never did the slope type bridges for simple fact I figured they would fly out seeing me walk up it. Most bridges I snagged them under had straight walls with a little 2-3' setback lip they would perch on. A short ladder wouldn't be a bad idea. See if you can find farmer with grain storage and see if they mind if you snag a few.
In the process of searching for grain bins. I'll figure something out. This alone has helped and given me a back up!

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I do the same thing. Net on an extension pole and a flash light. I usually scout during the day to see which bridges they hang out. Best ones have sloped sides that level out at the top. I caught several that i didn't have to use the extension pole.

Sellis26

I do the same thing. Net on an extension pole and a flash light. I usually scout during the day to see which bridges they hang out. Best ones have sloped sides that level out at the top. I caught several that i didn't have to use the extension pole.
I work construction around down town I know of several that are loaded up with birds. I'll try this method soon. Only concern is the rough crowds around these bridges. Any pictures of these high tech bird net set ups are a plus haha.

Hduke86

I work construction around down town I know of several that are loaded up with birds. I'll try this method soon. Only concern is the rough crowds around these bridges. Any pictures of these high tech bird net set ups are a plus haha.
Trust me the homeless people hardly pay attention to you IF you're not bothering them. Most times they are interested in what you're doing IF they aren't strung out on drugs or drunk but definitely have a person go with you.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
You left out a picture of duct tape to connect them 😀
I also carry a feed sack to stuff them in until I head back to my truck.

TAFKAP

I have a Boykin I am training to be a bird dog. The main goal is for duck hunting but there will be some cross over into other things. He is 5 months as of yesterday. I have ordered a pigeon trap that will be here Tuesday but in the mean time I may need to purchase some birds.

I am in need of live pigeons to train with. I have frozen birds that he is retrieving great but want to use live ones for gun introduction.

Any help is appreciated from birds for sale to a place to trap some pigeons.

Thanks - Scott

Nice! Where are you? I've heard you can order them online too, but I haven't tried. I brought a warm dove home for mine a couple weeks ago, and he went bonkers for it. Can't keep his nose off the floor of the garage now looking for feathers. My Boykin is about 16 weeks now

Sellis26

Nice! Where are you? I've heard you can order them online too, but I haven't tried. I brought a warm dove home for mine a couple weeks ago, and he went bonkers for it. Can't keep his nose off the floor of the garage now looking for feathers. My Boykin is about 16 weeks now
Located in Hermitage. I tried the net last night and caught 1, lost 1, and missed quite a few lol. All at 1 location in 20 minutes. Dog enjoyed the live bird! Will be getting more hopefully tonight and setting out a trap tomorrow.

Latest posts