Gulf Shores 2010

Blount County Hunter

4onaside said:
Blount County Hunter said:
But that one in the pic is for sure a black drum
And aside from that which you have already identified, deeper body than a red etc., the black drum pictured is black. Every red that I've ever seen has a copper color/sheen about it, thus the name redfish, red, red drum, etc.

Very true, thanks for the followup

Blount County Hunter

biglefty20 said:
my eyes must be off cause that fish sure has a red shade to me...i can see the difference in the body shape like what yall have said...learn somethin new every day..

i have for sure caught a couple reds with out spots though

Not trying to be an a$$ or anything, but since you thought that black drum was a red, then how do you know those "reds without spots" you caught were not black drum?

biglefty20

i guess they could have been...dont know if they run together(reds and black...spotted and not spotted how ever you want to look at it) but caught some of a school that came by...one spotted one not..who knows...that fish still looks red in the picture to me but who knows...are you saying it is black drum because there is no spot on the side we see or do you see that fish as having a black tint in color??

Blount County Hunter

Its very possible to catch reds and black drum in the same area, I can tell that its a black drum mainly because of body shape, color, and the scales on it have a grayish dull tint, while reds have more flaky copper shiny scales

4onaside

Several years ago, I stopped in a commercial fish market(distributor) in Bayou La Batre, Ala, because I am always interested in seeing fish, and I wanted to see what they had. They had a huge amount of freshly caught from Mobile Bay, black drum. They told me that they were shipped to northern cities, where, as often as not they were sold as "redfish". So, whenever you order blackened redfish in a restaurant you just never know what you might be eating. lol

Blount County Hunter

4onaside said:
Several years ago, I stopped in a commercial fish market(distributor) in Bayou La Batre, Ala, because I am always interested in seeing fish, and I wanted to see what they had. They had a huge amount of freshly caught from Mobile Bay, black drum. They told me that they were shipped to northern cities, where, as often as not they were sold as "redfish". So, whenever you order blackened redfish in a restaurant you just never know what you might be eating. lol

Mmmm fine by me, both are equally delicious in my opinion

4onaside

Blount County Hunter said:
4onaside said:

Mmmm fine by me, both are equally delicious in my opinion
I'm kinda with you, because I like fish, just about any kind of fish. However, I also like to have whatever I am eating honestly identified. lol

Latest posts