Gulf Shores 2010

Delaney

First time ever fishing on the beach had some fun and thought I would share some pics.
DSC03796.JPG

I believe this is a black drum. Fought him for 15 mins. Was a highlight for sure.
DSC03801.JPG
DSC03803.JPG

Couple of Flounder (I think...)
DSC03812.JPG

Towed this guy in the last day. This was about 30 secs before he pinched my finger, lol.

Crosshairy

I got pinched by a blue crab this year too. IT HURT!!

I couldn't believe how much damage it did to the end of my finger. It was embarrassing!

Delaney

No kidding! I was kind of wanting to keep him since he exceeded the 5 in min, but he made that decision for me when he nipped me and I instinctively slung him out to sea, lol.

biglefty20

from what i see that is a "red fish" or red drum... that is awesome man i cant wait to go catch some during christmas...they put up one heck of a fight..you are right about the flounder too...they say they are really good eating...i cut one up one time but dont remember eating it

LA man

biglefty20 said:
from what i see that is a "red fish" or red drum... that is awesome man i cant wait to go catch some during christmas...they put up one heck of a fight..you are right about the flounder too...they say they are really good eating...i cut one up one time but dont remember eating it

i have caught thousands of reds and drum and that fish in the pic is a black drum

Diehard Hunter

LA man said:
biglefty20 said:

i have caught thousands of reds and drum and that fish in the pic is a black drum

Absolutely a Black Drum.

stik

Diehard Hunter said:
LA man said:
biglefty20 said:

Absolutely a Black Drum.

i was gonna say...
looks like fun

basset

Would be fine with me if I never went near Gulf Shores again... there and Wrightsville Beach, NC, are the two places we've had vacation trips which were so bad we said we would not return. Even struck out on the dolphin cruise... didn't see a one.

Delaney

Diehard Hunter said:
LA man said:
biglefty20 said:

Absolutely a Black Drum.

Yeah, one of the locals identified it for me as a black drum, he was watching while I pulled it in. He was really surprised that is jumped (twice actually) he said they usually don't do that. Anyways I was sure hoping to catch another one or two. I never thought one could catch fish from the shore, boy was I wrong.

moondawg

That's awesome, Delaney! Nothing like saltwater fishing.

I'm going to Pensacola in the spring, I'll definitely take a rod/reel with me and fish from the beach.

Blount County Hunter

biglefty20 said:
yall have got me with the black drum...why do you say it is that?? i have caught many reds with no spots not sure if you are telling by that...inform me please

99.9% of reds will have black spot "somewhere" on its body, not always the tail, but somewhere, black drums have a few black stripes on them when they are smaller " under 15lbs", but they start to fade or go away completely as they mature, usually reds are longer and skinnier, and black drums seem to grow more upwards with their body and are usually short and stalkier

4onaside

Blount County Hunter said:
But that one in the pic is for sure a black drum
And aside from that which you have already identified, deeper body than a red etc., the black drum pictured is black. Every red that I've ever seen has a copper color/sheen about it, thus the name redfish, red, red drum, etc.

Latest posts