Guess the score

13pt

Ok, so 12-13" tines are actually very rare, but again the picture may be extremely deceiving for some reason. For a little perspective, below you'll see a Texas buck will very long tines. Not including the splits on both G-2's, they measure 10" and 11". I just don't see the buck in this thread exceeding these tines. Additionally, the buck below has 24" main beams, which are at least as long or longer. It has more spread and total tines tally more. Also at least as much mass, but I'd say slightly more. The one below officially scored 154 3/8 gross. My opinion it's at least 10" bigger. That being said, I don't want to take away from the awesomeness of the buck. It's no doubt a buck of a lifetime for most…but 12-13" tines???
FFADF9DC-BED8-41DF-9BD0-943108AB9B8E.jpeg
619DBBCF-EC0A-4F01-9015-9BCE8650415E.jpeg

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
That's a great buck! But to me the OP buck holds more mass all the way out on beams and the way his tines kind of sweep back and out is very deceiving. Idk what the Texas buck weighed but I also would take into account they generally have smaller bodied deer don't they? Not being smart that's an honest question. I've only killed deer in TN. The buck in the OP, while it's a mount, looks to have been a pretty big bodied deer.

rem270

Ok, so 12-13" tines are actually very rare, but again the picture may be extremely deceiving for some reason. For a little perspective, below you'll see a Texas buck will very long tines. Not including the splits on both G-2's, they measure 10" and 11". I just don't see the buck in this thread exceeding these tines. Additionally, the buck below has 24" main beams, which are at least as long or longer. It has more spread and total tines tally more. Also at least as much mass, but I'd say slightly more. The one below officially scored 154 3/8 gross. My opinion it's at least 10" bigger. That being said, I don't want to take away from the awesomeness of the buck. It's no doubt a buck of a lifetime for most…but 12-13" tines???View attachment 83417View attachment 83418
That's a dandy buck but the mass doesn't measure up to the ones in the pic I posted. Still a heck of a buck that I would shoot every hunting season til I died!

13pt

That's a great buck! But to me the OP buck holds more mass all the way out on beams and the way his tines kind of sweep back and out is very deceiving. Idk what the Texas buck weighed but I also would take into account they generally have smaller bodied deer don't they? Not being smart that's an honest question. I've only killed deer in TN. The buck in the OP, while it's a mount, looks to have been a pretty big bodied deer.
You're right most of Texas has what they call jack rabbit deer when it relates to their bodies…though that doesn't necessarily take anything away from their racks, but on the hoof sure makes em look bigger. This one came from NW Texas where they have the Kansas/Oklahoma genetics mixed in. Don't know what it weighed but guessing around 180. I've hunted KY some and going on a bow hunt in western KY this October, so I know they are heavy bodied deer, maybe even more so than NW Texas. But then I don't shoot em for their body size; however, they do make for prettier mounts! I'm anxious to see a pic of the tape measure on those G-2's. Im ready to eat crow if I must, but we'll see. It's all fun trying to score these old fellows…especially one that nice.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
You're right most of Texas has what they call jack rabbit deer when it relates to their bodies…though that doesn't necessarily take anything away from their racks, but on the hoof sure makes em look bigger. This one came from NW Texas where they have the Kansas/Oklahoma genetics mixed in. Don't know what it weighed but guessing around 180. I've hunted KY some and going on a bow hunt in western KY this October, so I know they are heavy bodied deer, maybe even more so than NW Texas. But then I don't shoot em for their body size; however, they do make for prettier mounts! I'm anxious to see a pic of the tape measure on those G-2's. Im ready to eat crow if I must, but we'll see. It's all fun trying to score these old fellows…especially one that nice.
I agree! I'm excited as well.

rem270

What part of Western Ky are you going to? I'm from and still have land in Southwestern KY close to the TN line. If you're close and I'm in at the same time it would be cool to meet up for lunch or something. One thing crazy about Western KY is weights change by just a few miles away. My place an average mature buck is around 160 pounds. My dad has killed one that went 180 pounds and that's the biggest killed around my place. 10 miles down the road a guy I know kills 200+ pound deer consistently. It's crazy.

rem270

Just searched way back in a fb message and found some pics I had sent someone. 25" main beams and I had told someone the shortest tine (minus g4's) was 10" and longest was 13". This shows a lot of the mass but still doesn't do it much justice.

Attachments

• received_2902529886697343.jpeg
    received_2902529886697343.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 76
  • received_3293902597388329.jpeg
    received_3293902597388329.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 73
  • received_288187852582974.jpeg
    received_288187852582974.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 68
  • received_853264818836796.jpeg
    received_853264818836796.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 75
  • received_682502889118269.jpeg
    received_682502889118269.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 73

Volbuck777

I'm going to wait on the official score before I say. But I will go on and say that a lot of people are 25-40" off on it. I made this post for the sole reason of it's super hard to judge a buck by a pic a lot of the time. This one in particular when it was killed I tried my best to get different angle pics to show everything but I just couldn't see them on the phone. With 12-13" tines and the crazy mass measurements it has is going to score well over what others have said. But I respect the guesses and like I said just shows you can't go off a pic sometimes. I lost all my pics I had when it was killed due to my phone breaking back in Feb and losing all my pics.
I'm changing my score guess. If those tines are as long as you say that buck is 160. Plus I didn't realize how far back his beams went before they rolled back forward. I imagine they're 25-27 inches.

Volbuck777

Just searched way back in a fb message and found some pics I had sent someone. 25" main beams and I had told someone the shortest tine (minus g4's) was 10" and longest was 13". This shows a lot of the mass but still doesn't do it much justice.
You posted this as I was typing, I new those beams were 25 inches also I never seen the trash at the base, so I'll stick at 160. Dang stud

rem270

This thread is a fantastic example of how hard it can be to score a deer off a singular picture.
Yes sir you are right about pics. One thing I've learned is to write the measurements down and keep them instead of just adding up on phone. I can usually get really close although I'm far from a pro or professional scorer. I did get 169" on this one. Am I going to be off? Sure but I don't think I'll be off by much. The mass measurements are what is helping this one so much on top of the beams and tine length. I've had a lot of fun with this just conversating over it. Just wish I'd kept all the info lol

Ski

Yes sir you are right about pics. One thing I've learned is to write the measurements down and keep them instead of just adding up on phone. I can usually get really close although I'm far from a pro or professional scorer. I did get 169" on this one. Am I going to be off? Sure but I don't think I'll be off by much. The mass measurements are what is helping this one so much on top of the beams and tine length. I've had a lot of fun with this just conversating over it. Just wish I'd kept all the info lol

Boone & Crocket website has a scoring sheet you can fill out as you take measurements, and tallies it all up for you. I always use it and then print out or screenshot so I have it saved, showing every measurement.

backyardtndeer

The pics from the op, the deer definitely has better mass and longer tines than the Tx deer posted by 13pt. Only thing I see that may not be more than 10 inches is the left g2. Those crooked tines that turn inward can be very deceiving.

13pt

Ok everytime I see new pics of this buck new tines show up…lol. The first pics it's nearly impossible to see the sticker on the right base. I have to add 3" to my score. Got anymore tines we don't know about?…lol.

13pt

What part of Western Ky are you going to? I'm from and still have land in Southwestern KY close to the TN line. If you're close and I'm in at the same time it would be cool to meet up for lunch or something. One thing crazy about Western KY is weights change by just a few miles away. My place an average mature buck is around 160 pounds. My dad has killed one that went 180 pounds and that's the biggest killed around my place. 10 miles down the road a guy I know kills 200+ pound deer consistently. It's crazy.
I've booked with B Three Outfitters. Their land lays in Christian and Hopkins counties. It's my first try at western KY. What's your opinion of that area, and would absolutely love to hook up for lunch if possible!

rem270

I've booked with B Three Outfitters. Their land lays in Christian and Hopkins counties. It's my first try at western KY. What's your opinion of that area, and would absolutely love to hook up for lunch if possible!
That's definitely prime areas of Western KY. Although there are good deer in my area your chances are better where you're going. That's about 1.5 hr from me but hit me up when you go and maybe we can make it happen!

Latest posts