Grouse?

Nsghunter

I read a little on another post and thought I would ask.

How do you hunt grouse?\

Where do you find them?

What do you shoot them with? what ga. what shot..

DO they taste good?

How do you cook and clean them?

how many does one need to harvest to have enough to have a meal?

Nsghunter

Quite frankly I've never seen them so I'm sure that I do not have them but I still like to know a little about how to hunt them. I don't even know if I would know them in the wild.

gecko7

I grew up shooting grouse way up north when I was a kid. I didn't have dogs but would walk them up and jump shoot them. They were often in the thick, overgrown areas making shots very difficult. I was usually shooting at a bird flying directly away from me into the thickest areas. I used 7.5 or 6 shot out of an old Remington model 11 20 gauge. It had a poly choke and I would use cylinder or improved cylinder. They taste great! In fact, if I told my mom I was going duck hunting, she would often say,"why don't you go shoot some grouse instead." They are pretty big weighing 1 to 1.5 pounds. I would dress them like a quail and panfry them.

I sure hope you have a chance to hunt some...they are wonderful birds! You'll know it if you flush one and I suspect you'll never forget it!

smalljawbasser

Nsghunter":2h0hs2uh said:
Quite frankly I've never seen them so I'm sure that I do not have them but I still like to know a little about how to hunt them. I don't even know if I would know them in the wild.

The next time you're in the woods and Huey Helicopter launches straight up and scares the bejeezus out of you, that's a grouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm08

Best eating bird by far. Makes pheasant take a back seat.
Easy to clean. Place bird on their back on the ground with your feet on their wings next to body. Grasp both legs and slowly pull. Breast and legs separate from body/guts and now you have a perfectly cleaned breast!!!!
20g O/U. High brass #8 copper Federals. Cylinder and skeet chokes
Dogs. GSP, Griffon, setters
Oh yes. Bourbon at the end of the day!!!

grouser

Keep your gun at port arms, don't hurry the shot, but don't wait for a clear shot either, head down and follow thru........not as easy as it sounds !

Latest posts