Grouse hunting

Willysman

What areas do you hunt? I don't see good habitat in the areas I used to hunt and still deer hunt in those same areas. I agree it is a deep issue that will not ever be solved, at least on our national forest.

TheLBLman

this is a deeper issue than habitat . . . . .
Agree totally.
And it's not just with the grouse, but with the quail,
as well as many other bird species.

I'm seeing some pretty large areas in Stewart Co. that have always had at least a remnant population of quail. A couple decades (or so) ago, the habitat began improving for quail, and there was a significant increase in the population, although they never even 1/2 approached the population of the 1970's (which was was much less than the 60's & 50's). What remains so mysterious, the habitat has continued to improve in these areas, yet today, fewer quail than 20 years ago. They're not extinct, but seem to be going that direction even with improving habitat.

No doubt, everything going against quail & grouse survival has been trumping the best habitat.

Setterman

What areas do you hunt? I don't see good habitat in the areas I used to hunt and still deer hunt in those same areas. I agree it is a deep issue that will not ever be solved, at least on our national forest.
Campbell, Claiborne, and Scott counties. Also Bell and Whitley county in KY. National forests get no chain saw love it seems, tree huggers don't understand wildlife just think pretty big trees are ideal

Latest posts