Grouse hunting

Big Pop

Find a clear cut that's around ten years old on the plateau or the Cherokee NF and then you'd be lucky if you got into them. Most places I used to hunt they are mostly gone.

Planking

I don't know what happened to them here but they are gone. I used to love to see them in the woods.

I heard a bunch drumming and saw several in Minnesota this spring. Three different ones were drumming at the same time in one spot.

DRSJ35

Put it this way. This is even with a dog. You will walk miles and miles and probably not see one in some tough terrain. We usually average from the truck and back about 8 miles. And not get the dog on one. Sometimes the dog gets hot scent cause one has been there but who knows when. Then on your 3rd or 4th outing you'll see one or 2. So if you don't like watching dogs work or anything forget about it.

mike243

On another board long ago we had a fellar from Canada, posted pictures on his hunts, 22 rifles are legal or were then. would love to be able to do that some day but afraid it's too late these days. Minnesota I think still has a good amount of numbers to keep from crossing the boarder

JOS

Michigan and Wisconsin have good public land Grouse hunting. Michigan manages areas for Grouse and Woodcock (GEMS) Grouse Enhanced Management Sites by clearcutting certain sections for new growth ,planting food and cover sources and such. Hopefully they will keep managing some areas down here in TN for Quail and start doing some management for other Upland Birds.

Chickencoop96

Hunted the South Cherokee for many many years. Used to jump 12-15 a day (no dog). As the years went by the numbers steadily declined. Old growth forest and no new cuts due to tree huggers. Lucky to see one now. Sad.
hopefully TWRA's new quail project will help the grouse. i can remember hearing that low Thumping sound they make as a kid but i haven't heard that in years

Chickencoop96

Michigan and Wisconsin have good public land Grouse hunting. Michigan manages areas for Grouse and Woodcock (GEMS) Grouse Enhanced Management Sites by clearcutting certain sections for new growth ,planting food and cover sources and such. Hopefully they will keep managing some areas down here in TN for Quail and start doing some management for other Upland Birds.
To my Knowledge TWRA has hired someone From Kansas to help bring the quail numbers back. hopefully this is true and the grouse will follow

Latest posts