How was Grouse season?

7mm08

Since my knee was all screwed up this year and finally got replaced a few weeks ago please some fill me in on your season. No locations required in TN! If you went to WI , or MN THAT is awesome. Where the birds all red phase down here as always?

Thanks!

Mattt

Man id really like to get this discussion started. I did not hunt this year, building house, one dog died, the other on his death ed as we speak.

gman10

I miss my days in the grouse woods behind a good dog. only problem now is that around here anymore the grouse are few and far between

dogman1702

I got out of grouse hunting awhile back. I will say this I jumped more grouse this year bear hunting than I seen in a long time. Had me wish I sti'll had a dog. It was in Cherokee NF in Greene county. Might be a place to check out next year for those of y'all still hunting them.

cathunter

Back in the day I would rather grouse hunt in east tn ridges and mountains than to eat. But now I like to eat. They ain't nothing better than a good grouse dog and grouse. Walked a few miles to kick up a grouse. Most memorable hunt was when the little pointer jumped off a log into a gulley and lock up in mid air. Thinking about this makes me 30 years younger. Good times.

7mm08

MidTennFisher":3aleo8kw said:
I didn't know there were actually any grouse in TN. I'll have to look into this a bit for the Fall and Winter. I'd like to get one.

They are here. Southern range, but they are here in TN.

Question: Anybody ever killed a gray phase( colored) one here in TN? I never have. All red phase here, but up North they are mostly grey ( Maine and Minn)

Ruff Hunter

I've killed a few gray ones but up in Wisconsin. I think mid Pennsylvania is when the gray phase start showing up. Although I recall in a George bird Evans book that he killed a gray phase in West Virginia.

Mattt

What im sayin is there arent any here better look elsewhere. That way i have these to myself. A few years back grouse hunting got brought up on a forum during season and it went from seeing one other guy hunting on any given day to a dozen trucks running up and down the mountains saying they were hunting grouse

Latest posts