Grouse hunting

justonebuck

I love to grouse hunt, but it sure is tough to do here in East Tenn. Hunted em a bit up in citico, and around north river up at tellico.. Tellico had the bbetter terrain in my opinnion

Setterman

tndrbstr said:
Clay said:
Any Grouse hunters in Ocoee or Tellico area

I love to hunt em,...but the lack of clear cutting has taken a toll on em....Just about have to get down low outside the area to find em (few) any more....thats been my experiance anyways...

You have to be kidding me? Lack of clear cutting???? Don't get out much do ya.

Half of Scott county is a regenerating clear cut of some age. Tons of Morgan county as well, add to it Claiborne and Campbell and there is enough clear cut acreage around to occupy a man for years. Grouse numbers are pretty good as well, and getting better each year.

stik

tndrbstr said:
Clay said:

I love to hunt em,...but the lack of clear cutting has taken a toll on em....Just about have to get down low outside the area to find em (few) any more....thats been my experiance anyways...

i have seen a lot of grouse in the sycamore creek drainage in tellico.

showmehorns

tndrbstr said:
Setterman said:
tndrbstr said:
Clay said:

You have to be kidding me? Lack of clear cutting???? Don't get out much do ya.

Half of Scott county is a regenerating clear cut of some age. Tons of Morgan county as well, add to it Claiborne and Campbell and there is enough clear cut acreage around to occupy a man for years. Grouse numbers are pretty good as well, and getting better each year.

LOL, No, I guess I am just a little slow :whistle: .... but maybe you can enliten me on which parts of the ocoee or tellico area are located in scott, morgan, claiborne or campbell countys... :confused: :confused:

:grin:

blountcountyboy

Blount CountyTN ya know over next to Cades Cove
The year that I turned 17 my parents finally let me travel "off" to go hunting and in that one year I killed 69 grouse and I'd hate to even guess how many quail. I hunted every day that I wasn't in school, after school, or holidays. I hunted Scott, Hawkins, Claborine, Sevier, Newport (don't know the county), Blount but, Big South Fork had more grouse than any where I'd ever seen. One morning I turned out my dog to pee while I was getting ready. I noticed that he didn't move for a good bit and he was pointed. 4 grouse came off that flush and even chasing the singles I never lost sight of the truck before I had my limit. That wasn't the norm. The craziest place that I ever killed a grouse was in the middle of a hay field. Coming back and my dog pointed in a fence row. Talk about surprised when a big ole grouse came up. I haven't killed a quail in 5 years and that one came when it hit my windshield on Foothills parkway. There was a grouse nesting in the 13 acres of woods in our pasture field. I guess she hatched them off or atleast I hope so because she was just gone one day after watchin her for about a week and there wasn't any feathers like she was killed or crushed eggs. Matter of fact there were no eggs so I wondered if she ate the shells like a chicken will but, I don't know. I always stop and listen when a grouse is drumming. Something absolutely beautiful and amazing. ... By the way, I saw 6 grouse in 8 days of hunting during the last bear season in Tellico.

Latest posts