Grey poupon scopes

BuckWild

I've got several different brands of scopes on my rifles. A couple of Nikon Monarchs and 3 or 4 VX-III's. But I must say the most impressive scope I own is a Tasco 4x that is on a 30.06 that I own. I bought the gun in 1974 for $50 and a month later bought the scope from a friend for $20. That combo has put more deer on the ground than most of you have ever seen. :D It's killed muleys and elk in Colorado. It's been bounced around in trucks and on four wheelers, dropped out of a deer stand and since 1974 has never ever been re-sighted in. I can get it out of my gun safe and take it opening morning and kill a deer with it. It ain't much to look at but as far as reliable it's pretty amazing. Over 20 years and still dead on. Oh yea the rifle is a Ted Williams Sears Bolt action. Like I said, not pretty, but effective.

4onaside

Obviously, the huge majority of hunters have gotten along just fine for many years using low-end$ scopes. When we go to the check station, we just don't realize that we are disadvantaged. Me, I'm thankful that I have always had enough common sense to never have fallen into the Grey Poupon trap. And for you boys who get your joys from spending $1,000 plus on a pair of binocs, I hope that you see God when you put them to your eyes. To most of us, I think that would be the only justification for spending that kind of money. Of course, you could see the same images by chewing peote. And for a lot less coin! lol

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I've spent good money on several Leupolds, Nikons, Zeiss, and the best piece of glass I still use to this day is a Simmons Silhouette Scope in 6-20x44 that I bought many years ago. Side by side with the others they just aren't the same. The tracking has been good and it's lived on several rifles from varmint calibers to belted magnums and now lives on a .308 Winchester. Can't ask for more than that. It was made with Japanese optics and was meant to be their competition with Leupold having a slightly lower price at the time but still pricey.

LCU

I would guess the nation wide average price paid for binos to be somewhere close to 1,000. Maybe higher.

Model70Man

$1000 nation wide average??? Do you really think that people really spend that much on bino's? Your average hunter will probably spend $150 to $200 tops on a pair of bino's.

The number 1 retailer in the world, aka Walmart, doesn't carry a single $1000 pair of bino's in the store....and for a reason. You can order a pair of $7000 dollar Olympus bino's on their website and 1 pair of $1000 Steiners, but not in their retail stores. If the nation wide average for a pair of bino's was $1000, that's all we would see in the cases, thousand dollar bino's. Their marketers know what the averages are, and what the average consumer is willing to spend on a pair of bino's. The averages are definetly not $1000 because Walmart would be losing HUGE money. A business like Walmart will not miss out on that kind of money per unit.

Where in the world do you get your information???

LCU

I know quite a few hunters,and none of them bought their rifle scopes at Wal-Mart.

Binos, Range finders, shotguns, scopes, spotting scopes, hunting outerwear, boots, etc....the average hunter does not buy these products at Wal-mart if they are a serious hunter. A few, but not most.
Myself and my friends are middle class,and don't have a lot of cash to blow. None of us that plan on hunting for several years, buy a 150 scope or binos.
IMO we are average.

Go do your own test on some 1K binos.
You may be surprised what the difference is.
I was.

LCU

Another example.
I had a buck at about 260 yds today walk out with a few other deer,including another buck.

I pulled my ML up and had the Buck in my rifle scope.
The cheap Nikon Omega was so crap, I could not tell which buck it was. Had to go back to the Swar binos again to see it.

I bought the gun with the scope. It's coming off this week.
You get what you pay for,and this Nikon is a cheap 250 scope.

Who can hunt well with crap?

Model70Man

LCU said:
I know quite a few hunters,and none of them bought their rifle scopes at Wal-Mart.

Binos, Range finders, shotguns, scopes, spotting scopes, hunting outerwear, boots, etc....the average hunter does not buy these products at Wal-mart if they are a serious hunter. A few, but not most.
Myself and my friends are middle class,and don't have a lot of cash to blow. None of us that plan on hunting for several years, buy a 150 scope or binos.
IMO we are average.

Go do your own test on some 1K binos.
You may be surprised what the difference is.
I was.

You are right LCU. You and your cross section of the people you know are a great representation of the rest of the entire nation. Now you want to change your tune from "I would guess the nation wide average price paid for binos to be somewhere close to 1,000. Maybe higher." to the average serious hunters don't buy optics from Walmart.

Academy, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc... all carry the same low end and mid grade models of the big dogs because they sell more than the 1k bino's.

I have done tests on pretty much every pair of bino's that BPS, Walmart, Gander Mountain, Dicks and several other sporting good stores carry. That's how I came to the conclusion to get the Brunton Epoch's that I posted several posts prior to this one.

Model70Man

LCU said:
Another example.
I had a buck at about 260 yds today walk out with a few other deer,including another buck.

I pulled my ML up and had the Buck in my rifle scope.
The cheap Nikon Omega was so crap, I could not tell which buck it was. Had to go back to the Swar binos again to see it.

I bought the gun with the scope. It's coming off this week.
You get what you pay for,and this Nikon is a cheap 250 scope.

Who can hunt well with crap?

So everybody that has a Nikon, Burris, Bushnell, etc has crap on their rifles?

Do you know how to focus your scope? I'm going to assume you don't, because the Nikon Omega BDC is a good scope and by no means crap.

Latest posts