Grey poupon scopes

4onaside

ratsnakeboogy said:
There is a new Ring/Base system out that's called Dead something or other, I can't rightly remember?

It's a one piece aluminum base will the rings milled in.

It looks pretty solid, and you shouldn't have any scope/ring allignment problems.

It's $50-$60 bucks.
I think that the word "aluminum" is a bad word with some of us, although my rifles are laced with aluminum Weaver or weaver type bases, and $6 aluminum rings. The only exceptions are steel Ruger rings on two 77's that came with the deal. But whatever bases/rings don't perform if the owner is too stupid to tighten them down! However, that's another story.

ratsnakeboogy

LCU-- That may be it, "Dead Nutz".

As far as aluminum being a bad word, if you look at this mount, it looks very substantial "THICK" and still weighs less than steel.

I have not tried this mounting system, just expressing that it looks impressive.

4onaside

Renegade,
I've never had those problems(moving zero/reticle) with even the cheapest of the cheap, and I obviously certainly hope that I don't have them with my "new" Bushnell Banner. I might slap it onto my heavy .243 with basically zero recoil, which might deter that from happening.

4onaside

ratsnakeboogy said:
LCU-- That may be it, "Dead Nutz".

As far as aluminum being a bad word, if you look at this mount, it looks very substantial "THICK" and still weighs less than steel.

I have not tried this mounting system, just expressing that it looks impressive.
Well, its not a bad word with me, witness the fact that the majority of my bases/rings are aluminum. But some have expressed that they prefer steel.

Model70Man

Jim,

I have Talley's on almost all of my rifles (Talley Lightweights) and they cost me $40. They are not expensive at all.

As for how tough aluminum is, they are also tough as nails and as solid as any steel setup. I dropped my A-bolt down a cliff on a TNdeer hog hunt 2 years ago and the rings, scope, and rifle took direct hits on the rocks as it fell approx 40 ft. SPCT-bone and BuckMoss couldn't believe the damage to my rifle and scope. Took it to the range, dead on. I'm sold on Talley's after that experience.

woodchuckc

I have had a variety of scopes from Bushnell, Simmons, Redfield, Tasco, Nikon, and a couple of other ones I can't remember. Outside of the 2 Nikon Monarchs, I realize the others would not be considered top of the line scopes, but they function well for what I have them mounted on. I have the Monarchs on my 22-250 varmint rifle, and on my new Tikka 30-06. I looked at and seriously considered a Zeiss Conquest to go on the Tikka, but I honestly could not see a significant difference between it and the Monarch in terms of clarity and brightness. I also looked at a VXIII at the same time and thought (again, to my eyes) that it was not as bright as either the Monarch or Conquest. I have been very happy with the Monarch on my varmint gun, both in performance and with holding zero, so I saved a few dollars and got one for the Tikka. The Swarofski scope that I looked at was discernibly better than the Nikon, but not enough so that I would consider spending the extra $1000 for it.

To be honest, the most rugged scope I have owned has been the Tasco fixed 4x World Class scope on my old Marlin 30-30. I have had it mounted on the gun for 25 or 26 years, and it has never fogged up and never shifted its POI as long as I still use the old reliable Remington 150 gr Corelokt ammo. I tried shooting some of the new Leverevolution ammo last summer, but I could never get as good a group at 100 yards as with the old Remington ammo, so I never bothered to adjust the scope (the POI was about 2-3" higher).

4onaside

woodchuckc,
I put a world class on my 336 after last season, and haven't shot it yet, so the jury is still out. However, if it gets any points for looks, including the initial looksee thru the lens, it passes with flying colors. We'll see if it performs as good as it looks. Your report is encouraging.

CZ284

LCU said:
My Swarovski binos are hard core optics also.
No grey poupon.

I've responded to a couple of LCUs posts in another forum. I happen to be 100% in agreement with him, I usee Swaro binos and VXIII scopes.

On the mustard, if you haven't tried what may be perceived as Grey Poupon, you might want to. It's not hard to develop a taste for!

Both of my rifles are custom jobs, as are my knives. I'd rather have one or two "good" setups that perform in any condition I want to take them in than have to worry about if they'll perform.
Over time, my experience has been to buy the best you can afford. Earlier in my hunting career I bought lower cost items, thinking they would be "good enough". A few years ago I realized I had a closet full of stuff that I thought was "good enough" at the time and ended up replacing with real "good enough".

That being said, the last rifle I had built was 12 years ago and I haven't made any changes since then. That to me is cost effective. Buy good and it lasts.

LCU

CZ284 said:
I never heard of Sightron. Do they have them anywhere in the Memphis area?

From what I hear they are a lot of scope for the money.
I don't mind paying 500 for a scope,and I need another one now.

I will have a hard time getting confident spending that much on anything but a Leupold,because of the history I have with their scopes.

Might get VX-III quality for a lot less with a Sightron. Not sure,but I am going to check them out.

CZ284

I read a couple reviews and they were all very positive. Comments pretty similar, good value and performance. They rated them right in with the Leupold, Nikons at less money.

I'm going to check them out as well.

LCU

CZ284 said:
LCU said:
My Swarovski binos are hard core optics also.
No grey poupon.

I've responded to a couple of LCUs posts in another forum. I happen to be 100% in agreement with him, I usee Swaro binos and VXIII scopes.

On the mustard, if you haven't tried what may be perceived as Grey Poupon, you might want to. It's not hard to develop a taste for!

Both of my rifles are custom jobs, as are my knives. I'd rather have one or two "good" setups that perform in any condition I want to take them in than have to worry about if they'll perform.
Over time, my experience has been to buy the best you can afford. Earlier in my hunting career I bought lower cost items, thinking they would be "good enough". A few years ago I realized I had a closet full of stuff that I thought was "good enough" at the time and ended up replacing with real "good enough".

That being said, the last rifle I had built was 12 years ago and I haven't made any changes since then. That to me is cost effective. Buy good and it lasts.

Almost no one agrees with me on anything. So be cautious.
Sounds like we learned from doing.
I sold a lot of stuff,and decided that the best of 1 thing is better than 2-3 of anything.
I learned a 1,000 pair of binos,is better then 7 @ 150 pair.
I had bought at least 6-7 over several years. All crap.

Buying now and upgrading later is a waste of time and cash.

If you like shooting waterfowl CZ, go get a Benelli SBE2.
I shoot an O/U for upland birds,but for Ducks, Geese,and Turkey,this Benelli is my last shotgun I will ever have to buy.
Amazing gun.

Model70Man

$500 on any scope, especially Leupold, IMO is rediculous. That is way too much money for middle of the road glass. I didn't even pay that much for ANY of my Zeiss Conquests (except for 1, my 4.5-14 which cost $515) or Meopta's and they flat out smoke my Leupold VX-III that I have. All of my scopes were bought NIB. To spend $500 and get sub quality glass compared to other manufacturers to me is not doing your homework and/or not shopping around. But $500 to me is totally different to others.

There are alot of newer binoculars that have come out this past year that are rivaling the $1000+ binoculars. Minox, Promaster, Vortex, and a couple of others are closing the gap with their newer ED glass. These $500 binos are rated as high as the big dogs and are taking some of their market share because of their high optical quality. Definetly not grey poupon, but tastes just like it. Makes me kind a wish I had not bought my Brunton Epoch's.

LCU

Get real model70.

500 big dogs?
I'll stay with my Swarovski.
Save up and buy a pair one day. 500 is not going to get you much.
Keep shopping and doing your homework big dog.

solodren

250 leupold and 1000 zeiss,, to pay that much would mean to me that every aspect of the zeiss would not be 30% better but 400% I cant see examining one of them scopes at every angle and saying that it is that better that the human eye could detect it is just impossible,, there have been comparisons made over the years in every category bino, scopes etc.. and many times items that cost half as much have come out just as good,, there are some people no matter what,, that will pay twice as much just because of tradition,personal preference or just the grey poupon stigma they get..

4onaside

solodren said:
250 leupold and 1000 zeiss,, to pay that much would mean to me that every aspect of the zeiss would not be 30% better but 400% I cant see examining one of them scopes at every angle and saying that it is that better that the human eye could detect it is just impossible,, there have been comparisons made over the years in every category bino, scopes etc.. and many times items that cost half as much have come out just as good,, there are some people no matter what,, that will pay twice as much just because of tradition,personal preference or just the grey poupon stigma they get..
But of course!

Model70Man

LCU said:
Get real model70.

500 big dogs?
I'll stay with my Swarovski.
Save up and buy a pair one day. 500 is not going to get you much.
Keep shopping and doing your homework big dog.

LCU,
Not going to get into a pi$$ing match with you on optics. You are very proud of the optics that you have paid for with your hard earned money and you should be. You obviously have never heard of or even looked through some of the newer binoculars such as Promaster, Minox, and Vortex the way you replied. Very high quality glass. Most people that look through the Vortex Vipor state that they are equal to if not better than Swarovski. How do I know this?.....By shopping around and actually looking through the glass, asking questions, and being a member of numerous hunting forums. Basically doing my homework and shopping around. I come on this forum to learn and share what I've learned.

As for your statement about saving up and buying a pair of Swaro's. I have a pair of Brunton Epoch bino's that you probably never heard of or looked through that retail for over $1400. Amazing glass. Here's an article I found that you might find interesting. http://www.fieldandstream.com/article_g ... he-Year/32

By the way, $500 will get you a whole lot with Bino's. You just have to have good information to make a sound decision and not just go by brand recognition. Just being real.

Latest posts