Grey poupon scopes

4onaside

A dollar a day will also get me a Colorado Antelope License, and I can use one of the scopes that I own(currently nine). lol
Peace

4onaside

LCU said:
My Swarovski binos are hard core optics also.
No grey poupon.
Depends on your definition, don't it. lol
The question that I raised probably has no answer, like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder.

JimFromTN

See, for the price of one license, you can have a great scope that will last you a lifetime. Doesn't seem like a bad investment to me especially seeing as you will probably go thru several more of the cheaper scopes that will add up to the same amount in that time.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. You mentioned "Practical Glass" in an earlier post. In my opinion, a $300 nikon monarch is very "Practical Glass".

4onaside

JimFromTN said:
See, for the price of one license, you can have a great scope that will last you a lifetime. Doesn't seem like a bad investment to me especially seeing as you will probably go thru several more of the cheaper scopes that will add up to the same amount in that time.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. You mentioned "Practical Glass" in an earlier post. In my opinion, a $300 nikon monarch is very "Practical Glass".
Jim, I probably wont go thru any more scopes, cheap or otherwise. John McCain is 4 months older than me. So, what the .... do I want to spend a lot of coin on a scope for,
so I can pass it on to my grandkids? I'll just roll the dice and hope that I'm still around to spend my money on a Colorado Elk License, Antelope License and a Wyoming Antelope license and any other Western hunts that I am lucky enough to draw in 2009. I never said that I couldn't afford the high dollar glass. What I really said was that I never saw much use in it. And still don't. lol

LCU

I agree.
A 500 scope as a lifetime investment is not difficult to justify.

Wish i would have learend this lesson when I was 20 years old.
Can't count all the cheap scopes I trashed or gave away.

WTM

one other thing, a scope is no better than the mounting system that it is mounted on. a cheap scope will work, but i would have some descent rings and bases to mount it on. they aint but 20 bucks more that el cheapos.(burris, leupold, warne, etc)

LCU

WTM said:
one other thing, a scope is no better than the mounting system that it is mounted on. a cheap scope will work, but i would have some descent rings and bases to mount it on. they aint but 20 bucks more that el cheapos.(burris, leupold, warne, etc)

Who makes the best scope mount?
I thought it would be a 1 piece,but can't remember who makes the best one.
I have to replace the crap mount on my Omega with the Nikon Omega scope.
thanks.

firefox

4onaside,
I agree with you(to a point) I've had trashcos and simmons that don't lose their zero. Once I sight them in and leave them alone they are good-to-go. I get in trouble when I start turning the elvation knob to hit a 4X4 inch square at 400yds and the dial tracks 18 inches low when my come-ups were dead-on ;) I figure that is another thread though! For my yella mustard scopes I just zero dead-on at 100 and use Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation and when I miss I blame it on the scope :D

WTM

LCU said:
WTM said:

Who makes the best scope mount?
I thought it would be a 1 piece,but can't remember who makes the best one.
I have to replace the crap mount on my Omega with the Nikon Omega scope.
thanks.

there are several good makers. i personally prefer all steel bases and rings. out of the ones i have tried, leupold are good. burris signature series with the moa inserts are great. the signature rings have inserts that fit into the rings made of synthetic material. no bent or scratched scope tubes, and they grip the tube even under heavy recoil. you can also use moa inserts to move poa so that you dont have to adjust the cross hairs during sight in. this corrects bore to sight alignment without extreme tweaking of windage and elevation adjustment. they come with zero moa inserts, so if you sight in within a couple inches, just move the cross hair adjustments to poa and thats it.

JimFromTN

I have the one piece rail on my omega with millet rings. The steele rings on ml have a tendency to rust a little but they are very tough. I also have luepold rings on my 700 and luepold qr rings on my slug gun. I have never had an issue with my scopes comming loose. Of course, now that I say that. I have heard talley makes great rings but they are twice the price of the leupolds and the millet.

I have a bushnell banner 4x scope on my 10/22 that has not failed me in 30 years and I only had to sight it in once. Still not going to use one on an elk hunt in colorado.

4onaside

Jim,
Like LCU said all of this stuff is subjective anyhow. And, unlike someone who has owned a Banner for 30 years without fault, but still would not carry one on a big game hunt, that's just personal preference. I might buy a new one for $80 and replace the Simmons on my .243,or a Pro-Staff if I want to go "high dollar", lol, before the next goat season, just to be playin' around. Or, I suppose that I could buy a $2,400 Swarovski and leave it to my church when I die. Have a good day.

ratsnakeboogy

There is a new Ring/Base system out that's called Dead something or other, I can't rightly remember?

It's a one piece aluminum base will the rings milled in.

It looks pretty solid, and you shouldn't have any scope/ring allignment problems.

It's $50-$60 bucks.

Latest posts