Great article on the dangers of feeding corn

FTG-05

This thread has been eye opening for me. I haven't given out corn for quite some time. I won't be in the future.

I haven't seen a turkey on my property in years. When I moved here, flocks of +20 were common, right in front of or next to the house.

Lost Lake

I don't have much of a dog in this hunt as far as turkey goes. Been years since I've been, and we are swamped here with turkey hunters.

I drive the backroads every day in what used to be a really rural area that's fast disappearing into 5 acre tracts. Almost every new "homestead" has a corn feeder at the edges of the properties that backs up to what's left of any sizable farm, with chairs on back porches for wildlife viewing fun.

It'd be interesting to know how much of that factors in versus "hunter" baiting/supplemental feeding. With as many people as there are here now, I'd bet it's pretty close.

Last edited:

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Why didn't feeding corn keep turkeys from exploding in the late 90s and early 2000s?

Because feeding corn isn't new thing around here.

I'm not saying it has a bunch of benefits other than camera surveys at times for some but we had loads of turkeys at one time and everyone fed corn then as well.

I can show you places in Alabama and Georgia that still has loads of turkeys and a feeder every 50 acres year round.
In the Last 20 or 30 years the use of Camera's has exploded. Better technology more affordable.

lafn96

Many people believe big ag areas with lots of corn fields grow bigger deer because of those corn fields. I will argue it has as much to do with the soil and other high quality forage as the corn. It's just that such areas are also often good places to grow corn. In fact, increased corn consumption in the summer time (from feeders) can actually reduce the antler sizes when the deer consume less protein-rich plants because the deer are eating more high sugar (carbs) corn which is very low in protein.
Grew up in Eastern Nebraska on a cattle/corn/bean farm; our deer were big bodied but smaller racks. Mature bucks would almost always be 200+ lbs; and some over 250. Racks that scored 140+ were rare.

Snowwolfe

Some of you are forgetting the article is offering three steps to prevent trouble
Buy Tested Feed
Distribute Smaller Amounts
Clean Your Feeder

Whats the big deal? My wife and I love to watch the turkeys and deer on our property. I toss out half a bag of corn every other day. Generally 99% of it is gone the first day and the second they come back looking for scraps. No feeder needed.

scn

Some of you are forgetting the article is offering three steps to prevent trouble
Buy Tested Feed
Distribute Smaller Amounts
Clean Your Feeder

Whats the big deal? My wife and I love to watch the turkeys and deer on our property. I toss out half a bag of corn every other day. Generally 99% of it is gone the first day and the second they come back looking for scraps. No feeder needed.
If you are buying certified aflatoxin free corn rather than the Walmart crap, it may be OK. If you are going with the cheapest, you are gambling the health of the turkeys you enjoy watching plus a bunch of songbirds that also eat the potentially tainted corn.

If it isn't certified corn, it can be toxic in the bag. Is your viewing pleasure worth having a turkey flock around?

Snowwolfe

If you are buying certified aflatoxin free corn rather than the Walmart crap, it may be OK. If you are going with the cheapest, you are gambling the health of the turkeys you enjoy watching plus a bunch of songbirds that also eat the potentially tainted corn.

If it isn't certified corn, it can be toxic in the bag. Is your viewing pleasure worth having a turkey flock around?
Since we started feeding turkeys with corn we buy at the local COOP 4 years ago we had a noticeable increase in the number of turkeys and doves on our property. It doesnt bother me there is a 89% chance of helping them while increasing our viewing pleasure:

"The MSU Deer Lab found aflatoxins in only 11% of samples of bagged and bulk feed sold for wildlife, and at relatively low levels"

After they visit the corn they usually walk around our front and back yard eating bugs which is another benefit. We have never killed any turkeys or doves either.

Last edited:

Roost 1

Aflatoxins develop in field corn before it's harvested, then detected when the grain samples are pulled at the local grain elevators when sold. In my opinion the biggest danger of feeding turkeys corn in the spring is that hens will nest near the food source. People are inviting nest raiders right into the bedroom. When I hear someone say they trapped 30 coons in 2 weeks on the one ridge, I wanna say "quit feeding the damn things." Stop feeding them and they won't congregate. I think lots of todays turkey hunters are not very knowledgeable or just don't care about conservation. Everyone wants that hero shot on social media.
As far is Texas is concerned the ranches I've been on feed way more protein pellets than corn. I've never seen a turkey eating those pellets.

FTG-05

What about cracked corn from either Tractor Supply or the local feed store? How do you tell if it's certified AF?

Latest posts