Great article on the dangers of feeding corn

BSK

so, let me get this straight? we are worried that the few that feed corn in a state that doesnt allow hunting over it, will in fact kill the populations of deer and turkey in a state that allows the hunter to kill 3 deer per day for 3 months straight, and have had the most liberal turkey limits in the entire country? im sorry fellas, i dont understand?
I don't think anyone is saying feeding corn is going to kill all the deer and turkey. What is being said is, if you are trying to manage for a healthy deer and turkey population on your hunting property, don't feed corn, at least in the hot, humid summer months. Besides, corn does these animals very little good in summer, and can potentially harm them.

TheLBLman

It does. I've seen mass aflatoxin poisoning of turkey with my own eyes. However, I'm not saying feeding corn is going to "wipe out" TN's turkey population.
Agree, but is sure has in some localized areas, and I believe corn feeding as been a significant factor in statewide declining turkey populations.

DoubleRidge

so, let me get this straight? we are worried that the few that feed corn in a state that doesnt allow hunting over it, will in fact kill the populations of deer and turkey in a state that allows the hunter to kill 3 deer per day for 3 months straight, and have had the most liberal turkey limits in the entire country? im sorry fellas, i dont understand?

Nobody is saying ....or even has said... that feeding corn is going to wipe out all of the deer and turkey......and regardless of the liberal limits in certain units....why would someone want to feed toxic or potentially toxic corn to wildlife? ...it's not good for deer and can be deadly to turkeys and other birds.... wouldn't matter if the limit was 10 deer a day ...we shouldn't want to feed toxic corn....the money spent on corn could be spent on chainsaw gas....get sunlight to forest floor.....much greater return on your investment and the end result would be better for all wildlife.

kentuckylakebuck1

does this theory apply in Kentucky as well? there sure is alot of corn fed up there and they seem to be thriving with deer and turkey? im sorry i dont see the great concern or maybe thats all i see, is concern? im just trying to figure out the big scare here? i dont feed corn, but i know some who do in Ky, and they seem to care more about the quality of their feed than most do for their own pets?

BSK

does this theory apply in Kentucky as well? there sure is alot of corn fed up there and they seem to be thriving with deer and turkey? im sorry i dont see the great concern or maybe thats all i see, is concern? im just trying to figure out the big scare here? i dont feed corn, but i know some who do in Ky, and they seem to care more about the quality of their feed than most do for their own pets?
Problem is, hunters often don't see something is a problem until it is REALLY a problem. In addition, some states do not allow the sale of corn unless it is certified aflatoxin-free. However, even if corn that is aflatoxin-free is placed in hot, humid conditions, it may not remain aflatoxin-free for long. That mold develops fast, and it only takes a tiny, tiny amount to kill a turkey or other bird.

DoubleRidge

If the people you know in Kentucky care more about their deer feed than most do about their own pet food then they are buying certified aflatoxin free feed corn and keeping it dry in a feeder or covered trough up off the ground....but even then in humid condition's aflatoxin can still develop. ...And it's not about trying to "scare" people....it's about discussing and sharing best management practices....and concentrating deer around a feeder that may have molded corn in it isn't a good idea.

DoubleRidge

No shortage of turkeys, deer ,or songbirds here. I call BS.

Call it whatever you like....but some states have outlawed uncertified feed corn for the issue of aflatoxin and the proven fact that it's not healthy for deer and can be deadly for turkeys and song birds....but hey....glad the herd and flock is doing well in your area.... hopefully as many land managers as possible will do all they can to help keep it that way through applying best practices that actually benefit wildlife.

DoubleRidge

In a previous post pet food came up and I never thought about the risk of aflatoxin in pet food but apparently the risk exist.
(Copied text below from article)

"In 2021 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning letter to Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. after they say inspections of their plants showed conditions that likely contributed to the illness or death of hundreds of dogs.

The FDA says the investigation began with reports of dogs that had become ill or died after eating SPORTMiX brand dry dog food manufactured by Midwestern.

Samples were later found to contain extremely high levels of aflatoxin. The tests showed levels as high as 558 parts per billion (ppb). The FDA considers pet food to be contaminated if it contains more than 20 ppb.

The FDA says aflatoxins are mold toxins which can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food. At high levels, aflatoxins can cause illness and death in pets.

So far, the FDA is aware of 130 deaths and more than 220 illnesses that may be linked to food made at Midwestern's plants".

SSlater

Well if it's from the government, I'm not going to stay up at night worrying about it.

Last edited:

SEC

I grew a bumper crop of corn last year. Im still harvesting from the standing stalks running it through my sheller and feeding my chickens daily. I'll let y'all know when there all dead.

DoubleRidge

I grew a bumper crop of corn last year. Im still harvesting from the standing stalks running it through my sheller and feeding my chickens daily. I'll let y'all know when there all dead.

I'd rather grow my own and know how it was handled or processed....one would assume standing corn has better air circulation on the stalk and would be less likely to mold verses you shelling 50lb and dumping it out on the ground in a pile (like so many do in front of their trail cameras)...but zero doubt I would rather shell my own than buy "deer corn" from Walmart.

SSlater

You are lucky. Turkeys way down song birds down. Deer seems to be steady. You must not turkey hunt or still are in a pocket where there are a good population because numbers are way down across the nation not just tn.
I've never been turkey hunting. May change. There are a lot here. I seem them daily on side of the roads, in the road, in yards. I hear them often as well.

As for songbirds, there's no shortage of them either. I enjoy listening to them.

DoubleRidge

Don't tell IOWA!!!

Nobody has to tell a corn producer in IOWA anything about aflatoxin.... my understanding is they know very well what the risk are and the effects it can have on their crops value.... aflatoxin tainted corn can be sold as feed corn to certain segments of the beef cattle industry....but for dairy cattle only very low amounts are tolerated....Iowa State University of Veterinary Medicine has documented well the effects aflatoxin can and does have on various livestock..... aflatoxin can cause lower birth weights, reduced milk production, cancer and for poultry it can be deadly.....but it's fine to bag uncertified corn and market it as "deer corn" at local Walmart and TSC's.

Latest posts