Great article on the dangers of feeding corn

scn

deerassociation.com

Aflatoxin in Corn Harms Deer and Turkeys. These 3 Steps Prevent Trouble. - NDA

New science will help you prevent natural toxins from contaminating corn and harming deer, turkeys and other wildlife.
deerassociation.com
deerassociation.com

The article pretty clearly shows why feeding corn is a bad idea, and especially in the warm months. IMO, it is one of several reasons that we are seeing the decline in turkey flocks across the Southeast.

I, personally, wish it would be banned. There is not enough benefit for the deer to make up for the potential devastating issues for the turkey flocks. It appears it also may be causing issues with songbird populations that are seriously declining

DoubleRidge

Thanks for sharing...I hope people will read and consider stopping this poor practice...the risk that comes with feeding corn in the south far outweighs any benefit.... basically it's as simple as this....no animal is healthier after eating toxic corn...it's deadly to birds....lower birth weights with fawns...and the corn can become toxic quickly in our humid climate...it's just not worth the risk.

Rakkin6

Not saying that anyone is wrong but, why don't deer get sick from eating corn in corn fields? They eat it throughout the summer and fall even after harvest. Honest question I don't know the answer.

DoubleRidge

Not saying that anyone is wrong but, why don't deer get sick from eating corn in corn fields? They eat it throughout the summer and fall even after harvest. Honest question I don't know the answer.

In the summer active green growing corn on the stalk I assume doesn't develop the mold/toxin like dried processed feed corn piled on the ground.....and in the fall after the harvest it's possible there is lower humidity which lowers the likelihood of developing the toxin....plus there's minimal spillage with today's harvest equipment....and even where there is spillage and the corn gets wet and molds...it's terrible for wildlife....in reality....in the south...with our mild winters....corn really doesn't provide much of a benefit to deer....do they like to eat it? Sure they do....but soybeans are king when it comes to available forage for mama's who are nursing and bucks who are growing antlers..... sorry, I'm getting off topic....there's just smarter ways to spend money to benefit wildlife than dumping bagged corn on the ground.... especially knowing what we know today.

Rakkin6

In the summer active green growing corn on the stalk I assume doesn't develop the mold/toxin like dried processed feed corn piled on the ground.....and in the fall after the harvest it's possible there is lower humidity which lowers the likelihood of developing the toxin....plus there's minimal spillage with today's harvest equipment....and even where there is spillage and the corn gets wet and molds...it's terrible for wildlife....in reality....in the south...with our mild winters....corn really doesn't provide much of a benefit to deer....do they like to eat it? Sure they do....but soybeans are king when it comes to available forage for mama's who are nursing and bucks who are growing antlers..... sorry, I'm getting off topic....there's just smarter ways to spend money to benefit wildlife than dumping bagged corn on the ground.... especially knowing what we know today.
Makes sense to me, I don't use corn. I just use a mineral lick and out out some trophy rocks. I was at the TSC yesterday and a bag of corn is the same price has a 50 pound bag of sweet feed $10.00 that's insane.

DoubleRidge

Makes sense to me, I don't use corn. I just use a mineral lick and out out some trophy rocks. I was at the TSC yesterday and a bag of corn is the same price has a 50 pound bag of sweet feed $10.00 that's insane.

Same for us....on the cameras during the summer we use trophy rocks...no corn....and we get thousands of pictures.

And speaking of feed prices....we have a few horses, mule and a donkey....and we feed rolled oats as a treat in the mornings....just left TSC....$31 per bag for rolled oats!.... unbelievable!

And on the same topic as corn....we had one horse with stomach/digestive issues years ago and our vet pulled him off sweet feed and switched him to oats.....I asked why? And he gave me a long explanation about today's hybrid corn, mold, toxins that's in sweet feed.....he wasn't a fan of corn as a feed for horses, especially a horse with digestive issues....so we switched them all over to oats.

Wrangler95

I'm hoping that everyone who puts out corn to feed the deer and turkey will stop doing it!I'm guilty of using corn just to get deer pics but I'm not gonna do it anymore!I believe the TWRA will have to get involved to stop people from doing it and make it illegal to do so?

AlabamaSwamper

Why didn't feeding corn keep turkeys from exploding in the late 90s and early 2000s?

Because feeding corn isn't new thing around here.

I'm not saying it has a bunch of benefits other than camera surveys at times for some but we had loads of turkeys at one time and everyone fed corn then as well.

I can show you places in Alabama and Georgia that still has loads of turkeys and a feeder every 50 acres year round.

TheLBLman

Why don't deer get sick from eating corn in corn fields?
Why does anyone think they don't?

Deer can actually get quite sick & weak from consuming aflatoxin corn, but few people seem to be aware of this. One thing not mentioned is how in their weakened state, they are more vulnerable to predation, so we come back to blaming the coyotes. But sometimes, it's the weakened deer that came first, coyote took advantage.

That said, I don't believe aflatoxin develops as much when corn kernel's are still impregnated into the cobs. Also, widely scattered loose kernels, such as is left in a large corn field, don't seem to develop aflatoxin as readily as kernels that touch each other. I also suspect the wind keeps many harvested corn fields in a dryer (less humid) state than the depressed muddy areas around most corn feeders.

Many people believe big ag areas with lots of corn fields grow bigger deer because of those corn fields. I will argue it has as much to do with the soil and other high quality forage as the corn. It's just that such areas are also often good places to grow corn. In fact, increased corn consumption in the summer time (from feeders) can actually reduce the antler sizes when the deer consume less protein-rich plants because the deer are eating more high sugar (carbs) corn which is very low in protein.

Highly soluble protein, as found in clovers, soybeans, and ragweed helps bucks grow larger antlers. The presence of summer fed corn reduces those bucks' consumption of the high protein foods. Kinda like giving candy to a toddler for breakfast instead of something more healthy.

DoubleRidge

Why didn't feeding corn keep turkeys from exploding in the late 90s and early 2000s?

Because feeding corn isn't new thing around here.

I'm not saying it has a bunch of benefits other than camera surveys at times for some but we had loads of turkeys at one time and everyone fed corn then as well.

I can show you places in Alabama and Georgia that still has loads of turkeys and a feeder every 50 acres year round.

And in addition to your observations Kentucky allows baiting...but how many more turkeys would these areas have and how healthier would the deer be without a certain percentage of their "feed" being toxic?....so it's not to say that all turkeys and deer that eat corn piled on the ground will die....but it is to say that it's not healthy for them to eat toxic feed and when doing so they likely won't reach their full potential.

TheLBLman

Seems there are always some exceptions to every generality?

Part of the answer to your question is that corn was not "fed" from feeders as much during the late 90s and early 2000s over entire counties like it has been "fed" over the past decade.

And many of these corn feeders are not even placed by hunters, but by people who just place them in their backyards. The number of corn feeders scattered across the counties has simply exploded. I also don't remember seeing the huge pallets of "deer corn" in every Wal-mart back in the 90's.

I suspect prior to 2000, a much higher percentage of the corn fed was actually purchased from County Farmers' Co-Ops where it was certified aflatoxin free (at the time of purchase). This particular corn will not as quickly develop aflatoxin later as will corn purchased as "deer corn".

TheLBLman

Speaking of "deer corn" such as what we see at Walmart . . . . . . .

It's my understanding that in the State of Texas (a much more arid climate),
it is illegal for corn to be sold as "wildlife" corn UNLESS it has been certified aflatoxin free.

I've heard all the corn that's contaminated gets shipped to other states where it's legal to sell as "deer corn".

I often hear the argument that corn feeding isn't hurting the deer population in Texas. And truth is, is certainly cannot there like it can here. The climate in Texas is much less humid, and they tend to feed mainly aflatoxin free corn. Up here, we have high humidity and tend to feed more Walmart "deer corn".

Again, aflatoxin corn usually doesn't directly kill deer, as it just makes them weaker, less healthy animals. But it can directly & quickly kill birds that consume it.

DoubleRidge

Speaking of "deer corn" such as what we see at Walmart . . . . . . .

It's my understanding that in the State of Texas (a much more arid climate),
it is illegal for corn to be sold as "wildlife" corn UNLESS it has been certified aflatoxin free.

I've heard all the corn that's contaminated gets shipped to other states where it's legal to sell as "deer corn".

I've read this before about Texas and it speaks volumes considering how many operations feed deer and other wildlife. They want no part of aflatoxin tainted corn.....not worth the risk.

TheLBLman

I've read this before about Texas and it speaks volumes considering how many operations feed deer and other wildlife. They want no part of aflatoxin tainted corn.....not worth the risk.
And never mind the risk there is a fraction what it is in Tennessee.

Another thing different about the "feeding" in Texas . . . . . . . .
Much of this feeding is done on very large ranches, many of them tens of thousands of acres, all highly controlled, and again, they are feeding aflatoxin free corn.

Here in Tennessee . . . . . .
Land tracts containing feeders tend to be a fraction the acreage of what is more common in Texas. It may be the majority of our feeders are in people's back yards on parcels averaging about 2 acres. We probably have a lot more feeders per acre in TN than they do in Texas. Add to this our humid climate, and that much of the corn may already contain aflatoxin before it's bought.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Kill all the turkeys? Well I have never put out corn, not ever, but if it will kill the turkey population I may have to look into feeding corn.

Savage Knight

I've been running a 200lb feeder since February. You know how many deer I've had in front of it? 6! turkey? 4! I have hogs nightly but in my area corn for deer is totally pointless! Two years ago I had a guy find one of my sets in the middle of a thicket and he was using my camera and started setting corn in front of it. Once the corn came into play the hog and deer traffic was cut to nearly nothing. I had a really nice buck using the trail. And he actually bedded in front of the camera for nearly 8hrs before that guy screwed the place up.

kentuckylakebuck1

so, let me get this straight? we are worried that the few that feed corn in a state that doesnt allow hunting over it, will in fact kill the populations of deer and turkey in a state that allows the hunter to kill 3 deer per day for 3 months straight, and have had the most liberal turkey limits in the entire country? im sorry fellas, i dont understand?

Latest posts