Funny 30-30 article

wcw280

If you put a 30-30 bullet in the vitals the deer will die every time. They are not invincible to the 30-30. People crack me up with this debate. There will likely never be another cartridge catch up to the 30-30 in history of deer killing. It's been killing deer atleast 40-50 years before anyone here was born. You got to hunt different and make it count, but the 30-30 is a fine deer caliber with 150's or 170's either one.

The Accubonds weight retention is just a little more than 70% which is more than enough retention for great performance from a deer hunting bullet. They have rapid expansion on the ogive, with the back half giving the penetration. For bigger game, the Nosler Partition's construction is suited better. I personally am very impressed with the Accubond for deer. I load it for several calibers, and from my experience it performs better than corelock, interlock, and ballistic tips. Obviously I have not tried every bullet made, as there is a vast variety available.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

Like I said I use a 30/30 almost exclusively and have for a long time. And there is lots of debate even at the 150 to 170 grain bullets. I use the 170 usually in power point or corelokt. My gun likes the power point much better. It's more consistent with the power points anyway. I read that the 150's expand quicker for a bigger wound channel. 170's penetrate a little more before expansion. You be the judge.

ImThere

So when I set up purposely across the valley from a field and shoot deer at 500 yards it's not hunting. Only when I shoot them when they walk around the tree I'm in is? Seems either way I had to find the deer, I didn't set up there because of dumb luck. Idk whatever. I love a 30/30, 308 and my 30.06 but it's only hunting when you send a arrow though the vitals and 20 yards!😂😂😂

UTGrad

The old phrase the 30 30 is a great "brush gun" is misinterpreted year after year. It's my understanding the phrase means it's good for hunting in brush where shots aren't very long. I hear folks say all the time it's a great brush gun cause it's punches through bushes well. I don't think that's going to be the case. Any bullet can get deflected on its path but if I wanted to punch through some low level privet, 30 30 isnt going to be my top choice. I'd rather have a 300 grain .50 cal muzzleloader conical.

ImThere

The old phrase the 30 30 is a great "brush gun" is misinterpreted year after year. It's my understanding the phrase means it's good for hunting in brush where shots aren't very long. I hear folks say all the time it's a great brush gun cause it's punches through bushes well. I don't think that's going to be the case. Any bullet can get deflected on its path but if I wanted to punch through some low level privet, 30 30 isnt going to be my top choice. I'd rather have a 300 grain .50 cal muzzleloader conical.
I always thought it was because they are short and handle well in tight spaces?

Smo

I'm glad you Guys reminded me of the old 30-30..
That was the first "high powered " rifle I ever owned..
Started with a Winchester, but quickly upgraded too a Marlin 336..
Both were great shooting guns, however I preferred the Marlin side ejection.

I've owned a bunch of both over the years..

I'm packing for a hunt at the moment and as always I plan on carrying my trusty .54 cal flintlock..
But reading this thread brought back the urge to break out an old 30-30.
Being mostly a black powder Guy I decided o best check the zero on my scope, since it's been a day or two since it's been fired..

I went in the hollow where I have my longer range targets posted and fired a couple rounds just too be sure it was still close..

I chose my larger target, ( part of the original British Invasion) and parked the 4 wheeler at the 120 yard mark..

Set my shooting bag on the rear rack of the 4 wheeler and fired a couple rounds..

Target prior too 30-30 rounds..

9F5F5CE2-9D55-4525-9651-864158A3F854.jpeg

After..

158DF9EA-6207-4E05-8887-018ECE717FBE.jpeg

I guess it's close enough…

146CE7F1-AE5C-4D88-B6E3-90DAC3E96F41.jpeg

I even got some of the non erosion bullets, they kill deer coming or going!

😁👍🦌

knightrider

I'm glad you Guys reminded me of the old 30-30..
That was the first "high powered " rifle I ever owned..
Started with a Winchester, but quickly upgraded too a Marlin 336..
Both were great shooting guns, however I preferred the Marlin side ejection.

I've owned a bunch of both over the years..

I'm packing for a hunt at the moment and as always I plan on carrying my trusty .54 cal flintlock..
But reading this thread brought back the urge to break out an old 30-30.
Being mostly a black powder Guy I decided o best check the zero on my scope, since it's been a day or two since it's been fired..

I went in the hollow where I have my longer range targets posted and fired a couple rounds just too be sure it was still close..

I chose my larger target, ( part of the original British Invasion) and parked the 4 wheeler at the 120 yard mark..

Set my shooting bag on the rear rack of the 4 wheeler and fired a couple rounds..

Target prior too 30-30 rounds..

View attachment 207020
After..

View attachment 207021

I guess it's close enough…

View attachment 207019

I even got some of the non erosion bullets, they kill deer coming or going!

😁👍🦌
Thats a sweet pistol!!

Latest posts