30/30 high shoulder

Derek

I've never found the 30/30 lacking. However, the best thing about a lung shot is that it is a large target. If you miss a few inches either way, you are still ok. That's why I prefer a lung shot.

Derek

Side note....last year I had a nice 8 point coming to me straight on. I had my 30/30 with 150 grain handloads. My only shot was in the chest. I have never shot a deer in the chest, but he was at 20 yards. The first thing that hit the ground was his chin and he never moved. I never found the bullet, but I guessed it was in the gut pile somewhere.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Side note....last year I had a nice 8 point coming to me straight on. I had my 30/30 with 150 grain handloads. My only shot was in the chest. I have never shot a deer in the chest, but he was at 20 yards. The first thing that hit the ground was his chin and he never moved. I never found the bullet, but I guessed it was in the gut pile somewhere.
I shot one with 30-06 in the chest at short range as well; he hit the ground just as you described. I found the bullet as I was gutting the deer.

Latest posts