30/30 high shoulder

Urban_Hunter

With a 30-30, ALWAYS shoot for the heart-lung area. A 30-30 does not have the impact power necessary to kill a deer instantly if the high shoulder shot does not hit the spine. And the spine is a small target. I always take heat for saying this, but the neck shot is a TERRIBLE practice, as is any shot intended to hit the spine. The spine is a tiny target (about the size of a broomstick). I know VERY few hunters who can make that shot consistently under the influence of adrenaline.

And now que all the neck-shooters...

I hate to count the number of deer I've helped unsuccessfully track that were neck shot. It's a bunch.
I'm in this camp

CliffordN

The venerable 30-30 is one of the most effective whitetail rounds out there. Totally deadly inside of its effective range. I have seen more deer drop in their tracks when hit with a 30-30 round than any other cartridge. What you should be concentrating on is bullet construction...

348Winchester

After killing scores of deer with a 30-30, I can say with utmost confidence that it will do it with either the 150 or the 170. The 170 should be prefered for this particular task.

The 30-30 is a most excellent cartridge. There's a reason it is still out there doing its job very well after 128 years!

ronnycl

30/30 great round inside 100 yards. You need to ask yourself what distances are you willing to shoot based on your hunting locations....150+ yards and out there are better options. I prefer 30/30 inside 100 yards based on the conditions I hunt. It is much easier carrying a marlin 30 30 vs long action bolt action in the thick woods.

TN Larry

I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot with a 170 gr core lokt or power point. However, if needing to take that shot to prevent from going over a bluff, I'd probably move up to a little bigger caliber.

Omega

With a 30-30, ALWAYS shoot for the heart-lung area. A 30-30 does not have the impact power necessary to kill a deer instantly if the high shoulder shot does not hit the spine. And the spine is a small target. I always take heat for saying this, but the neck shot is a TERRIBLE practice, as is any shot intended to hit the spine. The spine is a tiny target (about the size of a broomstick). I know VERY few hunters who can make that shot consistently under the influence of adrenaline.

And now que all the neck-shooters...

I hate to count the number of deer I've helped unsuccessfully track that were neck shot. It's a bunch.
I've had two, that didn't fall in place, but they left a trail a blind man could follow and didn't go further than 100 yards. But taking deer doesn't get my adrenaline going anymore, and I aim small to miss small. Do I recommend that shot, no, not at all, as I have seen the shots some make, I would rather recommend the heart/lung shot to most hunters, and especially those seeking advice on shot placement.

W1uVhxV.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
As you can clearly see from the answers . Some Hunters have absolute confidence with the 30-30s ability to do the job, Others have not had the same experiences.
I've killed many deer with a 30-30 over the years. I'm not obsessed with keeping records . Most my hunting is in the woods or small fields. I won't hesitate to take a High shoulder,low shoulder or neck shot at 100 yards or so. I would most likely pass at over 100 yards.
I can't say I have never had to track a deer Shot with a 30-30. I can say that they are few and far between. The ones I do track generally leave a Good blood trail. As with any shot with any weapon the angle of the shot can make a world of difference in Dropping on the spot and tracking. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

killingtime 41

I see the comments can go either way. I've been hunting for over 20 years and have never tried a high shoulder with any caliber. But I mainly use a 30/30 these days as it's small and easy to carry in insanely thick areas. Where a 50 yard shot would be far. Most shots are within 40 yards. So I still don't really have an answer. Guess I'll just have to find out if given the opportunity.

Stumpsitter

I've killed my fair share with a .35 Remington, which isn't terribly far from the 30/30. The majority of the deer I've killed with that gun, I've aimed mid shoulder and to the ground they go. If it's not immediately to the ground, then you'll see them go down. I always aim there because I figure it leaves little room for error.
A heavy grain, soft point bullet will put a maximum thump on one. A federal, winchester or Remington soft point as heavy as you can find will do the job.

DeerMan66

Take the shot. I started hunting with a 30-30 and killed my first buck with a high shoulder shot. A heavy bullet and your in business. Even better if you use a solid copper.

mike243

Lost my biggest deer with a 3030 and a high shoulder shot, knocked him down and fell several times afterwards but lost the trail after it made a big circle. heart/lungs with a muzzle loader or a HP rifle. no shoulder shots on purpose these days

harv418

I ended up with a doe I high shouldered at around 140 yrds (hornady leverevolution) with my 3030. She dropped like a puppet with the strings cut. Ended up having to Dispatch her with my knife, but she didn't move an inch from where she stood. It works perfectly.

TNRifleman

Really hard to answer the question without knowing the distance, impact energy and bullet construction. The answer could be yes or no depending on the answers to these questions.

Last edited:

themanpcl

Need some thoughts on. Or real experience in shooting a deer with a high shoulder shot using a 30/30. Which is what I usually carry in firearm season. Will it do the trick. Cause I always hear higher velocity bullets only. 30/30 isn't high velocity compared to more modern cartridges. I've needed to take this shot on several occasions but didn't because of the lower velocity.
lost 2 deer that way. went to 300 winmag because of that

ROVERBOY

point isn't is he dead with a vitals shot. Point is a high shoulder shot they don't move and die in the place the stood when you shot. Meaning you can actually recover the animal vs they walk off over a ravine and die or fall off a cliff. I'm hunt deep in the mountains of N east Tn. One dead in its tracks vs a 6 hour recovery to get back to the truck means everything. That's why I was asking is a 30/30 capable to cause enough shock and trauma for a lights out high shoulder shot.
I like to put them down right there too. I usually shoot for the neck. I have killed a few with high shoulder. We have some really steep ridges and hollers around my area.

Latest posts