gps devices

bambikiller423

What do you guys think is the best gps for hunting. Thinking of buying one this year. I got a little turned around last year deep in the woods at night. Don't really want that to happen again

fairchaser

You might look into the smartphone apps. They are a lot cheaper and better IMO. They are not keying off satellites but cell towers but are plenty accurate for finding your tree stand. My phone is something I'm gonna always have on me too. I use one called GPS tracks. Why buy another device when you already have one in your pocket.

bambikiller423

I use my smart phone for my local hunts where I get service. Which I don't really need. Cell service isn't always Available. Like fall creek and bear hollow

fairchaser

bambikiller423":g3zfn8h4 said:
I use my smart phone for my local hunts where I get service. Which I don't really need. Cell service isn't always Available. Like fall creek and bear hollow

Gotcha, then a GPS using satellites is your only option. I had a first generation GPS that took forever to connect and then let me down under the canopy. But, I know they are much better now.

TNRifleman

bambikiller423":26h1gxp5 said:
Does that Garmin automatically drop way points

Honestly I have no idea. It takes about 15 seconds to create a way point and that is what I normally do. Every time I am out I create a way point where my truck is at and then head on in. I have way points marked all over the place for stands or setup locations I have have found while scouting.

It does create a "bread crumb" trail if you keep it on so that you can track back. Honestly if I were to buy a new one, I would by the same style but a less expensive model as this one has too many features I don't use. Primarily, I just plug in the way point I want to go to and then follow the built in compass to get there.

bambikiller423

OK I got ya. Sounds like that's what I'm looking for. I'm like you I don't need to many gadgets. Just a safe way to get in and back out

TNRifleman

bambikiller423":3boqspet said:
OK I got ya. Sounds like that's what I'm looking for. I'm like you I don't need to many gadgets. Just a safe way to get in and back out

I have used the ETrex before and will probably buy that level of unit if this one ever craps out on me.

TNRifleman

The Oregon is great and easy to use because of the touchscreen but is a bit overkill for me with all of the features. The ETrex would suit me fine if I was buying a new one. I just got a great deal on the Oregon when I bought it.

infoman jr.

A compass is a valuable addition to a GPS as many units require you to be moving to give you an accurate bearing. I have an old Garmin Etrex Legend Cx. It's been a tank, but it's slow to gain satellite reception and easy to lose it. Most of the time it will lose signal if I put it in my pocket. I usually hang it from my backpack shoulder strap. The newer HCx is better in this regard.

Forvols

I been wanting to get a hand held GPS also and settled on the ETREX 20x or ETREX 30X -- only feature advantage of the 30x over 20x that I can find is:

BUILT-IN SENSORS - eTrex 30x adds a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass and a barometric altimeter which tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude, and you even can use it to plot barometric pressure over time

WIRELESS - Wirelessly share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches with other compatible devices -simply press "send" to transfer your information -also wirelessly connects to compatible Garmin devices, including VIRB and accessory sensors

I will use it mostly for lakes and hunting WMA/National forest/public lands etc. Think I will get the 30x mainly cause it also has the compass. Don't really care about the wireless sharing feature.

infoman jr.

Forvols":10l55lcw said:
I been wanting to get a hand held GPS also and settled on the ETREX 20x or ETREX 30X -- only feature advantage of the 30x over 20x that I can find is:

BUILT-IN SENSORS - eTrex 30x adds a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass and a barometric altimeter which tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude, and you even can use it to plot barometric pressure over time

WIRELESS - Wirelessly share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches with other compatible devices -simply press "send" to transfer your information -also wirelessly connects to compatible Garmin devices, including VIRB and accessory sensors

I will use it mostly for lakes and hunting WMA/National forest/public lands etc. Think I will get the 30x mainly cause it also has the compass. Don't really care about the wireless sharing feature.
See my post above about built-in compasses.

Forvols

infoman jr.":7d5w469w said:
A compass is a valuable addition to a GPS as many units require you to be moving to give you an accurate bearing. I have an old Garmin Etrex Legend Cx. It's been a tank, but it's slow to gain satellite reception and easy to lose it. Most of the time it will lose signal if I put it in my pocket. I usually hang it from my backpack shoulder strap. The newer HCx is better in this regard.

I also carry a Cammenga Miltary Tritium Lensatic Compass.

MackPC

I have a Rino 550. It is a high dollar GPS but it is worth the money if you are planning on hunting out west. It is so easy to get turned around in a new area and It gives you step by step directions. The reason it is so high is because it also has capabilities of a two way radio with SOS calls in case of emergency and other Rino users can track your location if you have a fall or bad accident or kill something and need help packing it out. For around TN I would recommend one of those Garmin that are less than $200. They would be sufficient.

Latest posts