Old iPhone as a gps?

El Jagermeister

I've got an iPhone 5c or 5s (can't remember) that I don't use anymore.

I read in another thread where people were using them as a GPS unit instead of buying a dedicated gps.

What software are you using? The phone does not need to have cellular service to it, correct?

I'd like to try it out before buying a GPS. Anyone got more information?

Thanks!

Jcalder

Any app that I have that uses my location quits working when I don't have service. I don't see how you couldn't have some sort of plan for gps purposes. I may be incorrect but a phone that doesn't have wifi and no service plan is useless unless you wanna call 911

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Jagermeister

That's what I thought. But somebody said that they used an old phone that wasn't even setup on a cellular plan. If it can work that way, I'd like to try it.

Hunt 365

I use my new phone as a hotspot, with the old phone as a gps with the hunting apps. Maybe you think why I don't use new phone too, but it is my work phone with unlimited internet and I can't download apps on it. A unique situation but works for my office policies and my setup- maybe will work for you

wjohnson1983

I don't know how far back it goes, but my iphone 6 can be used as a GPS without service. The GPS and cellular are seperate. In fact the GPS functionality works in airplane mode. The issue comes with the "maps" and not having service. The phone will require cellular signal to download the data for map imagery. There are apps that let you save the imagery to your phone before going offline. I have onXmaps app for hunting out west. Gaia is another app that I've heard of, but have not used.

For just driving, I use google maps. From what I've seen it, still works without service as long as your start the route before losing the cell service.

Latest posts