Got a hog hunting trip planned!

Atchman2

I was invited to go to the swamps of South Carolina to hunt hogs! It has been since before Covid that I have gone there. The property is near the Ashley river in Charleston. A few years back the state violated the property because the needed to get rid of hogs going into neighborhoods! The landowner sued them and won. Not sure what he got from it, but it did reduce the number of hogs to where you didn't want to go over there anymore.

Since then they have bounced back. They aren't huge hogs, but there used to be lots of them. The landowner said that I should have an easy time getting some hogs for meat. I only have 2 days to hunt, but this guy has tons of feeders and cameras to put me onto them. Headed over next Friday with my big cooler!

Atchman2

I'm getting all packed up! I have to work today (BOO) and then I am going to my grandson's adoption Friday morning. After that it is 6 hours in the car. I got my .450 Bushmaster ready and a AR 47 too. I went to check zero yesterday and they were stacking bullets. The primary gun I'm using during the morning and evening is my AR 10. It has a Sightmark Wraith HD on it so I can use it day and night.

I have my thermal on my Browning BAR .308, but I'm not certain of the zero on it. Those digital scopes mess me up. Part of it is the hot hands I use for targets. They are just too big to get a precise zero, but I will be if I can hit a hot hand, then it is close enough to hit a hog pretty consistently. I'm thinking that we will use that for some night cruising.

Also have my friend Shannon's FLIR thermal monocular. It is handy since you don't have to keep your head in the scope to see. Over there though I have almost always hunted during the day for them. I suspect all of my night hunting stuff won't be used, but I like to have it just in case! I have my video camera and a POV camera to record the hunts. Also the AR 10 records through the scope so that is why I want to use it while in the stand.

Atchman2

Well that didn't go well. I saw some hogs, but their rear end as they were fleeing our atv. I couldn't get a shot off on them.

They hunt during the day over feeders. I never hunt during the day here, so it was strange for me. The ones on the property I hunt are totally nocturnal. I saw squirrels, a single turkey, and a rabbit.

Atchman2

My buddy just took a short trip to Texas to night hunt near feeders. Even though they had pigs on cameras recently they didn't see a one.
Yep, it just isn't assured. The landowner had some on the camera too. I did see some that were running at high speed, but I didn't get a shot. I think if we would have went at night, I would have had more luck, but that isn't their "vibe". I understand. Different things for different folks. I would love to hunt during the day I think I have killed three hogs ever here hunting during the day, and I have to say that two of them were flukes.

Latest posts