Hog Processing near Catoosa

east_tn_gk

I will be hunting the Genesis side of Catoosa this year. We've seen a lot of hog sign while scouting. If given the opportunity, I wouldn't mind knocking one over. That said, I've never butchered one, although I do process all my own deer.
Does anyone know a reputable processor anywhere near Catoosa who does hogs?
Thanks

Madbowh

I process my own, never done anything different than deer other than I will process it right away unlike a deer I hang 3 days for every 100lbs. Not against letting them hang just normally get after it. Breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, chops, and roast. I don't usually get bacon I don't take the bigger ones. Even with lots of sign it'll be last light you do see one there most likely.

Mountain whitetails might do it in Monterey

east_tn_gk

@Madbowh yea I thought I may just end up doing that. Might have to get one of those sausage recipes from you lol
I figured they probably move mostly at night once hunting season starts, but just figured I'd have a plan in case one steps out.
Thanks!

Madbowh

My neighbor uses them, in case you did get one then go back for deer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_102857_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_102857_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 47

Mb423

I process all my deer and I did my first hog earlier this year.

I recommend ordering "the hog book" and watch some videos from the bearded butchers on YouTube for hogs. Between the two I was able to pick and choose how I wanted to tackle it.

The main takeaway I had was the hide was a lot harder to pull off with just using my hands. Other than that it is pretty easy if you do your own butchering.

Carlos

Mountin Whitetails has done several hogs for me in the past.

Afaik H&R stopped processing hogs.

Best of luck out there, let us know how it goes!

mike243

Make sure to wear gloves when gutting hogs, they are prone to a few diseases and no need to give your self problems, also cook to a higher temp than USDA recommended 145, go 160+ good luck.

Atchman2

I recommend ordering "the hog book" and watch some videos from the bearded butchers on YouTube for hogs. Between the two I was able to pick and choose how I wanted to tackle it.

The main takeaway I had was the hide was a lot harder to pull off with just using my hands. Other than that it is pretty easy if you do your own butchering.
Agreed on the hide! I sometimes use vice grips to grab it better! Honestly though, I've found that just taking all four legs and the backstraps is the best way. The meat is SO lean there is no bacon. The tenderloin is normally so small you get more meat from a box of chicken nuggets.

Each to his own though. I've never found the ribs that good to eat just because they are so lean. If I skin the hog out, I'm mostly looking for all the little morsels of meat to turn into sausage.

Watch the Hog Zombies video. If you follow the above you can field butcher a hog in less that 10 minutes! You just take the hide off of the limbs later. You do have to pull the hide off the back to get to the loins.

Atchman2

I have the "Hog Book" too. It is pretty expensive to be honest! :) Good recipes though!

Latest posts