Gonna try baiting.. Help?

G_Man

Well well well... Now that i have your attention, I need help identifying this kind of oak! I am very new to actually giving a crap about what kinda trees are around me, so I was curious of this one.

Working in Smyrna area, a tree hangs over a back deck. I had to sweep off all the acorns, and ended up filling a 5 gallon bucket full. Elderly neighbors wanted them for their squirrels.

I'm just curious what kind it is...

20131016_125006_zpsb68a2300.jpg

bigtex

Looks like a chinquapin to me as well.
The leaves do look something like a Chestnut Oak but the acorns of the Chestnut Oak are green when they first fall.

G_Man

@fulldraw said:
That is a chinkapin oak not chestnut. I bet it has whitish scaly bark similar to white oak doesn't it?

yep!! white scaly is right....thanks!! i tried googling it, but some site had me looking through a TON of oak varieties.

southernhunter

i have the same oak and was wondering what they was my self , i was leaning to a white oak due to the white bark,thanks now i know , how do these acorns rank in the a deers preferred list of acorns ?

woodsman87

southernhunter said:
i have the same oak and was wondering what they was my self , i was leaning to a white oak due to the white bark,thanks now i know , how do these acorns rank in the a deers preferred list of acorns ?

IMO and personal observations, deer favor them over about every other acorns.

Winchester

woodsman87 said:
southernhunter said:

Yep, high on the list of preferred acorns for a deer!

southernhunter

Winchester said:
woodsman87 said:
southernhunter said:

Yep, high on the list of preferred acorns for a deer!
awesome thanks guys

Latest posts