Getting Ready for the season

Atchman2

Yesterday I got the crossbow out and started prepping for the season. It had the red dot that came on it back on there as I was having trouble with my scope. After I changed out the retention spring, the scope wouldn't go low enough!

I removed the red dot and went to work on the scope. It is a Tru Glo crossbow scope. I shimmed the front of the scope with a thin piece of styrene plastic. After shimming it and placing the scope back on the bow, it hit nearly perfectly! I finished tightening the scope down well and of course it changed to POI. A few clicks to compensate and it was hitting the same hole. I could "Robin Hood" every arrow if I wanted. I can't believe the accuracy of such an inexpensive crossbow.

The bow is a Barnett Jackal with the Tru Glo 4 x scope. I'm using the Headhunter arrows they recommend for the bow. I keep thinking I want a better crossbow, but with the accuracy I'm getting; why would I do that?

Last spring I fell in a creek and lost the quiver off the bow. I think I'm just going to use my archery hip quiver instead of replacing the other quiver on the bow. The other thing I'm going to try is comparing some different types of heads. I'm shooting Rage broadheads, with deadly accuracy.

TNGunhunter

This will be my 3rd year of using our Jackal. We killed 3 deer first year, and 2 deer last year with it. All using Rage Broadheads. This X-bow is deadly, and I won't be upgrading bow, dot scope, or broadheads any time soon. If it ain't broke....Good Luck this year!!

Atchman2

TNGunhunter":3yfmza9o said:
This will be my 3rd year of using our Jackal. We killed 3 deer first year, and 2 deer last year with it. All using Rage Broadheads. This X-bow is deadly, and I won't be upgrading bow, dot scope, or broadheads any time soon. If it ain't broke....Good Luck this year!!

I know right? I do like the scope a little better than the red dot, but the red dot is just fine too! I killed my first crossbow turkey with the red dot. Can't wait to climb a tree or sit in a ground blind this year with it.

Atchman2

I shot some more yesterday. I moved out a little further and fine tuned the zero. I don't know the group size but all the arrows touched.

I was breaking in a fresh batch of new arrows. Just got then from Walmart ship to store. They are Carbon,Express arrows. I have some more new ones I haven't tried yet. I lost a LOT of arrows during turkey season. An entire quiver in the creek and three others on shots that were probably too long to attempt. :(

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

TNGunhunter

MINE SHOOTS TIGHT GROUPS AND PRETTY FLAT TOO. I SET THE TOP DOT AT 20 YDS, AND IT'S THE ONLY ONE I NEED FOR HUNTING. IT SHOOTS 2" LOW OF TOP DOT AT 30 YDS (WHICH HELPS WHEN THE DEER DROPS / JUMPS STRING), AND 40 YDS IS HALFWAY BETWEEN TOP AND CENTER DOT. I WON'T SHOOT ANY FURTHER THAN THAT WHILE HUNTING, BUT AT THE RANGE, THE CENTER DOT IS PRETTY MUCH DEAD ON AT 50 YDS.