Need suggestions for 1st cross bow

RockMcL

Not sure if you bought yet but I propose a low budget entry. I had major shoulder issues when I went to crossbow. Was going to give up archery season completely (I still enjoy muzzleloading & rifle) but my son suggested big box store low budget crossbow mentioning they would even let you shoot one. Went Cabellas on a whim and bought their last year sale model, extra set of bolts, and Rage tips. Test fired to make sure I could use the optics.
Three days later sent my son a picture of a deer heart dead centered by a Rage. Pretty much do that 1 or 2 times every year since.
Point is you don't need to spend more than a few hundred to get started.

TboneD

There are obviously much faster Xbows and better triggers than me and two of my best friends new Excalibur Micro Mag 340's, but one of us is a very experienced Crossbow hunter and is so excited to finally have his first Excalibur, even though he's losing a lot of speed. We're all really happy with the crossbow so far and can't wait for deer season!

MsuFinProf

I would take a hard look at the Wicked Ridge RDX 400. Reverse draw crossbows keep the weight in the middle, which is much better if you have shoulder problems like I do. I have seen some pretty good prices on these...although they are still expensive in my opinion.

swd

how loud is it? what is the FPS? enough to get racoons and deer as needed?
390 fps with the arrows supplied with it. Comparing it to the RDX and R10, seems similar or maybe a bit quieter. It is much louder than my Triax. I plan to deer hunt with it. I have no doubts inside 50 yards.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Did you decide on one? I have an older Parker that my Dad used until he quit hunting, it's a bit heavy and bulky but still accurate. My go to though, is my Excalibur micro.

Hymie3

I almost cut my thumb off this fall and had to go to a crossbow this season. I did quite a bit of research and didn't want to put a lot of cash in one so I ended up with the Barnett xp 400. Has a hand crank to cockand bought a decocking bolt to unload it. I shot it several times to get accustomed to it and so far it has been great.
0D9C89FE-E859-438A-AE64-F21810565348.png

Kmushrooman

Not sure if you bought yet but I propose a low budget entry. I had major shoulder issues when I went to crossbow. Was going to give up archery season completely (I still enjoy muzzleloading & rifle) but my son suggested big box store low budget crossbow mentioning they would even let you shoot one. Went Cabellas on a whim and bought their last year sale model, extra set of bolts, and Rage tips. Test fired to make sure I could use the optics.
Three days later sent my son a picture of a deer heart dead centered by a Rage. Pretty much do that 1 or 2 times every year since.
Point is you don't need to spend more than a few hundred to get started.
I did the same thing about 12 years ago. Still using the same bow. I keep it waxed.

squirrel_hunter

I have a wicked ridge raider 400 crossbow. Look at the invader 400. Was on sale few places. U can get it with or without the acu draw.

agelessssone

I have a older Excalibur Vortex that I really like,its a very dependable crossbow and you can chance strings yourself,dont need to go to a archery shop!!BTW,they are built in Canada!!
I've got an Excalibur Axiom.
They never need adjustment, change strings yourself (even in the treestand if need be, have been tested to 3,000 shots.
Nearest competitors tested at 500 shots before they blew up.
Thinking about selling mine cause I no longer use it.
Anybody interested?

Kmushrooman

I've got an Excalibur Axiom.
They never need adjustment, change strings yourself (even in the treestand if need be, have been tested to 3,000 shots.
Nearest competitors tested at 500 shots before they blew up.
Thinking about selling mine cause I no longer use it.
Anybody interested?
I am interested, send me a PM on the price, thank you.

C1295

Find you a Micro Mag or Excalibur Mag Air. Easy to work on can restring yourself and very reliable.

Lt.Dan

Not sure how many are aware, but ALL simple recurve crossbows are easily decocked without firing. That was one of them main reasons I chose the recurve route many years ago.

Somewhat amusing now many compound crossbows are claiming this as a great "new" feature 😀
I de-chocolate chip cookie my compound crossbows about the same way you would a recurve.

Latest posts