Tip of the day.

hammer33

Tip of the day for archery. If you paint/crest your arrows/shafts/bolts KEEP THE DANG BOX!!! That way you can order the CORRECT size later when you forget what you have been shooting and have to guess (wrong). Did you know that your xbow wont shoot for 5#$@ if your shafts are 142 gr overweight? and that it is really hard to find a bolt that skipps off the side of your block, goes Whing! off the fence behind it into an unmowed hayfield? Tip 2. If you decide to change broadheads, keep notes, and throw or give away broadheads that don't shoot well. That way you won't wind up with a box full of random mismatched blades, heads, pieces and parts. Did you know that you can put muzzy 100gr blades into a 125gr head? You don't want to, but you can. :rolleyes:

Laserman1

#3. If you happen to try shooting sticks to steady your crossbow make sure that they don't protrude above the strings. Otherwise the force from shooting could hurt your right thumb, almost break your quiver mount and also send a bolt into a tree you will never get out.
#4. If you accidentally shoot and don't put a bolt into the crossbow the safety lock will keep it from shooting. BUT, after you do put the bolt in, you will have to kock the crossbow that extra 1/4 inch to make it able to shoot again.

Last edited:

hammer33

So Im not the only one having a "monday" trying to get ready ! Ordered a whole new set of what I KNOW works and boxed the random stuff up.

Atchman2

I just gave away my Aluminum bolts to my best friend. Some of them were brand new! My new 400 FPS crossbow won't shoot Aluminum worth a darn. It LOVES Barnett Carbon Fiber bolts though.

I used to have a Barnett Jackal until I fell on it and broke it. It liked the Aluminum bolts. When I bought the new one, I bought one where I could use the same length and type of arrows. They just don't work as well in the higher speed crossbow.

I bought some cheap Amazon bolts for practice, they are too heavy! They blew most of the way through my target! Just got to man up and buy some more Barnett bolts for this bad boy.

I have learned my less though and I do keep the box and I write on one of the vanes the weight, length, etc.

Atchman2

So Im not the only one having a "monday" trying to get ready ! Ordered a whole new set of what I KNOW works and boxed the random stuff up.
Exactly what I did! I only have 6 broadheads but they are all the same type and they match. I mean how many broadheads do you need right? I only need one because I never miss. (RIGHT). 🤪

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Exactly what I did! I only have 6 broadheads but they are all the same type and they match. I mean how many broadheads do you need right? I only need one because I never miss. (RIGHT). 🤪
You need at least 3 so you can shoot multiple deer in a sit, and maybe have a spare one for a coyote or that pesky squirrel that won't leave you alone.

Atchman2

You need at least 3 so you can shoot multiple deer in a sit, and maybe have a spare one for a coyote or that pesky squirrel that won't leave you alone.
I normally carry an air rifle with me to hunt deer. The ones I have are almost silent and I can dispatch a squirrel with ease. Though I have hit a squirrel with my compound bow. For some reason the arrow didn't go through him and I had to chase him down to get my arrow! I have a picture of it somewhere. It was gross as it went from his butt out his shoulder!

Madbowh

The broadheads I kill deer with I leave dirty for easy distinguishing from good ones and use them on coyote. I only keep one on the quiver like that the rest are new.

Latest posts