First outing with the Excalibur Mag 340.

CHRIS WILSON

The last time I hunted during archery season was nine...maybe ten years ago. Over the last year, my best friend and hunting buddy has been after me to get back into it. Well, I finally caved in and got myself crossbow so I can hunt the 2022 season. Ended up getting an Excalibur Micro Mag 340 earler this week. Got home from work this afternoon and had the time to get out back to finally sight in. I believe it's gonna be a keeper. Arrow/bolt weight is currently 450 gr. Probably going to stay right around that weight for a hunting setup. Now, I just need to figure out what broadheads I want to use.
20220527-204041.jpg

20220527-203944.jpg

20220527-203850.jpg

20220527-174450.jpg

double browtine

My dad has an older Excalibur and I zeroed it with 4 blade muzzy broadheads. It is a tack driver. Don't shoot at the same bullseye or you might ruin a bolt or lose a fletching. What ever you choose go with a fixed blade.
My dad hasn't ever shot a deer with his, but shot a coyote at 40 yards and he still can't believe it went thru the offside shoulder blade.

sharpshooter

I bought the same xbow last season. I shoot 125gr. Slick tricks and the 2 deer I shot last season didn't like them. I upgraded the trigger to an Excalibur Pro-shot and it made a world of difference over the gritty, long travel factory trigger. I also bought a custom flemish string. Love my Mag 340, should have bought it sooner!!

CHRIS WILSON

I bought the same xbow last season. I shoot 125gr. Slick tricks and the 2 deer I shot last season didn't like them. I upgraded the trigger to an Excalibur Pro-shot and it made a world of difference over the gritty, long travel factory trigger. I also bought a custom flemish string. Love my Mag 340, should have bought it sooner!!
I'm really liking it so far. The only thing I would change would be the trigger. It's pretty good but does have some creep to it. Hoping it'll smooth out a bit with some more shooting.

TheLBLman

Most fixed blade heads will shoot well with these crossbows.
Placement and sharpness are more important than diameter.

I remember many years ago (before mechanical heads) when PSE rep Pete Shipley was taking elk with a tiny diameter 3-blade head. They grouped better than anything else, out-penetrated everything else, too. And his dead elk, some taken at very long range for archery, were proof to me that placement, sharpness, & penetration matter more than diameter.

Last edited:

Latest posts