Getting out of reloading..

Tenntrapper

So, I believe I'm going to give up this hobby.
I've been down sizing for several months and don't have much left, but what would be best way of selling off the remainder of stuff.
I've got very few bullets left, and just a few powders and primers. I've got a few die sets, as well as a press and misc tools, etc. Also have a couple books.
Would it be better to list as a "all or nothing" or list things individually?
Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

DaveTN

Depends on what you want to do. A bunch of meets and people wanting shipping, or just one meet.

I've kicked around the idea of selling my reloading stuff at some point. I figured I'd just list everything and put one price on it. But it appears component prices may be dropping, so I might reload a little more if it does.

Tenntrapper

Depends on what you want to do. A bunch of meets and people wanting shipping, or just one meet.

I've kicked around the idea of selling my reloading stuff at some point. I figured I'd just list everything and put one price on it. But it appears component prices may be dropping, so I might reload a little more if it does.
Understand. I've got about another hundred 223 to load for the 700, then I'm done with it. I've got plenty of everything loaded, and am just over it. I'm even having a hard time getting motivated to load the 223.

DaveTN

Understand. I've got about another hundred 223 to load for the 700, then I'm done with it. I've got plenty of everything loaded, and am just over it. I'm even having a hard time getting motivated to load the 223.
I don't know what was causing your lack of motivation, mine was the price and availability of primers. I'm not a competition shooter, so when I can buy factory loaded ammo for nearly the cost of loading it; that's the route I'll go. It appears primers are becoming more available, but we shall see, the big boys are still trying to get $100 a brick for them; I'm not paying that.

Some just like to reload. That wasn't the case for me.

Tenntrapper

I don't know what was causing your lack of motivation, mine was the price and availability of primers. I'm not a competition shooter, so when I can buy factory loaded ammo for nearly the cost of loading it; that's the route I'll go. It appears primers are becoming more available, but we shall see, the big boys are still trying to get $100 a brick for them; I'm not paying that.

Some just like to reload. That wasn't the case for me.
Really, it's several reasons that are causing the lack of motivation. And like you said, I'm finding ammo at prices I have a hard time competing with. And any available time I've had in the past, has now been cut to near nothing. I'm not a competitive shooter...just a hunter. I've got more than enough ammo to kill all the deer I'm allowed for the rest of my life.
It's a fun hobby...I'm just tired.

Rockhound

I've thought the same thing, I just don't have the time anymore with young kids. The only thing stopping me is my 7mm wsm that's impossible to find ammo for. I don't mind setting down and loading ammo, but I absolutely despise loap prep, and load work ups.

WestTN2288

I've thought the same thing, I just don't have the time anymore with young kids. The only thing stopping me is my 7mm wsm that's impossible to find ammo for. I don't mind setting down and loading ammo, but I absolutely despise loap prep, and load work ups.
I was in the exact same spot. I got into reloading so that I could shoot my 7wsm. Turns out I really enjoy it in general. Guess everybody has things that entertain them.

backyardtndeer

I haven't been loading much lately, but I have been reloading premium bullets for about half what it costs to buy store bought, and I can tailor my loads to my guns. I hope to teach someone in my family down the road. If nothing else, components could also make good bartering items in the event we get to a point we need to use them.

ScLowCountry

I haven't started selling my stuff or even considered it, but I have basically got out of reloading as well. I taught some of my friends how to do it so I guess I have passed on the tradition. I don't shoot as much as I used to and when I do I shoot 22 or 9 mm which I've never bothered to reload. I never got into progressive reloading so loading one of the time 9 mm is rather time consuming. Sometimes my time is worth more than buying a box of bullets. I do however still exclusively use my reloads when deer hunting etc

I would sell everything individually if I were you. I was staring at one of my reloading cabinets last week and realized I had enough powder for a down payment on a house. That is if you go off of current gun broker prices

fairchaser

I loaded for years as a means to an end. I wanted ammo that was better than box ammo. When I got into competitive shooting, reloading became a passion regarding load development. Not just better ammo but finely tuned ammo. That process never ends! I set up my own space where I could work on it when I wanted. Some people shoot to load and others load to shoot. I like both. What greater satisfaction is there to create ammo that will win a match or kill a whitetail.

Specializedjon

I understand completely. The fluctuation in prices of primer, powder and bullets was/is stupid. I reload as a form of therapy. Gets my mind off work and the F'd up world we live in for a few hours. It's mind numbing fun on the Dillon progressive press. Just getting into single stage and laddering my loads to fit specific rifles. I geek out on that stuff. Everything comes to an end at some point. Let me know whatcha got left at the end of the purge

PickettSFHunter

I get it but you may come to regret it in the future if ammo gets very hard to find. I have reloaded since I was 15 or 16 but I only load for hunting/defense ammo now. I basically sit down and load up several hundreds of rounds, mostly in the Winter and then just don't do much of it for months.

squirrel_hunter

I would keep my stuff. If u decide later to start again. Cost alot more too get back in it. If i give up reloading. I would have to stop alot of my hunting. I shoot a 410ga 3 inch and 28ga alot. U can never find 410ga 3 inch. I can find a few 28ga. If u do find 410ga 3 inch. Stuff i see for sale is 28.00 to 60.00 a box.

Tenntrapper

I would keep my stuff. If u decide later to start again. Cost alot more too get back in it. If i give up reloading. I would have to stop alot of my hunting. I shoot a 410ga 3 inch and 28ga alot. U can never find 410ga 3 inch. I can find a few 28ga. If u do find 410ga 3 inch. Stuff i see for sale is 28.00 to 60.00 a box.
Agree about the 410 situation. As for the 28g...that's what I hunt with. Tons of ammo out there. Our local WM is even stocked with it.

vonb

How many times I've seen guys in later years mention they are getting back into reloading after being out of it for years to raise kids, career, etc. They sold their equipment and are starting over. If it's not taking up much space, I'd hold on to it for a bit and mull it over. It doesn't eat and cost anything to retain.

Latest posts