Get on the stick TWRA

mike243

Be a lot of shooting other than predators, not deer so much as other stuff. domestic animals ect, add suppressors in there for more fun. double our game wardens who already work probably crazy amount of hours. might not raise a sportsman license more than $100 a year. Y I'm all in for it or not, I don't like gunfire in the nighttime, being raised in a coon hunting family since I could walk I have seen a lot, the 22lr quiet by cci has 75% less noise, coon hunters love them. Shorts use to be the snit but were a pain, full case quiet shots are easier to load.

7mm08

My only question about this is, why in the hell are they releasing coyotes that they should be eliminating....
As an incentive to kill them. They are tagged and if you kill and turn in a tagged one you get a prize. It's been done on wolves , and other predators right or wrong for over a hundred years.

How many coyotes walk during deer season because guys don't shoot them afraid they will spook a buck.

Planking

Be a lot of shooting other than predators, not deer so much as other stuff. domestic animals ect, add suppressors in there for more fun. double our game wardens who already work probably crazy amount of hours. might not raise a sportsman license more than $100 a year. Y I'm all in for it or not, I don't like gunfire in the nighttime, being raised in a coon hunting family since I could walk I have seen a lot, the 22lr quiet by cci has 75% less noise, coon hunters love them. Shorts use to be the snit but were a pain, full case quiet shots are easier to load.
I used to be an advocate for night hunting until i got to experience night hunting and all the crime that comes with it. Lol.

mike243

Well I suspect that the hog permits were a way to test drive night hunting out under tightly controlled conditions, maybe not but I haven't ran across any articles on the net about problems here, I also haven't researched other states that allow it, I always suspected it was more trouble than it was worth. I do know folks will push stuff to the limits and beyond ymmv.

megalomaniac

It's a never ending battle. We wiped them.out by summer of last year, killing 24 on my farms. We had none on cameras after that, but last month have had at least 8 move back in. We've killed 4 so far in 2024, but have to keep at it nonstop to make a difference. Coming up next week just to coyote hunt and thin more out.

It DOES make a difference. We almost quadrupled our fawn recruitment rate last year compared to the last 15 years.

But shooting one here and there does nothing. Sorry to say.

MidTennFisher

My only question about this is, why in the hell are they releasing coyotes that they should be eliminating....
Because they are the absolute stupidest DNR in the history of DNRs. That's why.

About half of those have actually been killed and turned in. So that means the others had a good life of breeding and killing game animals when they should have just been killed immediately.

SCDNR is the Joe Biden of wild game management.

If they wanted to do something positive they'd let us trap on WMA and quit with this tagging and releasing coyotes crap. Instead, the incentive can be based on how many you kill. Maybe you get a reward for every 100 confirmed kills or something. I don't know. Any idea is less stupid than capturing a non-native, extremely effective predator then releasing it again.

Last edited:

SSlater

Let's be honest - if SCDNR really cared about issues like coytoes and feral hogs they'd let us trap them, and every single other predator, on public land. Instead, they basically create breeding sanctuaries on public land for hogs, yotes, and other predators.

Matter of fact, we can't trap ANYTHING on public land here. Because SCDNR does not give the smallest crap about public land hunters in this state. I strongly regret ever moving here and can't wait for the right opportunity, career and housing market wise, to either get back to Tennessee or just move to a state with actual game management. Though I do hope you and I get to do some coastal fishing before we leave!

My friend put it well the other day when comparing SCDNR and TWRA. If TWRA is a 5 star college football recruit, SCDNR is the water boy. I'd take it a step further and say SCDNR is the dork in the cheapseat stands with body paint yelling "we're number 1" using "we" as if he somehow contributes knowing the most athletic thing he's done in 20 years is walk up the stairs to his seat.

There is not a state wildlife agency in the lower 48 that does a worse job than SCDNR.
Well you're doubly screwed with SLED as well.

Latest posts