Full moon strategy during the rut

Racknquack

What are your opinions on hunting the full moon during the rut? Does it change your strategy such as more mid day sits as opposed to early morning? Do you see an increase or decrease in activity? Anything you have particularly noticed worked well for you during this period?

jb3

I've found that during the rut, anything can happen at anytime. If I have time, I go hunting.

catman529

I hunt regardless of the moon. This time of year, work is busy, I hunt whenever I'm not at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

medwc

megalomaniac":2lmynt9t said:
Moon is irrelevant. Nuff said.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

But the Facebook experts said...

:stir:
:rotf:

southernhunter

Never payed much Attention to the full moon, I have heard Theories that deer move later in the day because they move at night and that during a full moon most of the rutting action takes place at night even more so if it's hot during the day.

I just read an article that stated study's and one hunters personally Experience proved that bucks are more likely to move during the day during a full moon especially during the rut

Who really knows, The farms I hunt don't give a lot of opportunity to change up strategies so I just hunt as much as I can.

Headhunter

To me moon is a HUGE factor. Deer to some extent, don't move in the morning. They for sure move later in the day and the evenings. In Kentucky the past 5 mornings, since opening last Saturday gun season, there is usually a "dove shoot" with rifles happening most every morning and for sure Saturday and Sunday morning and evening opening weekend. The area I hunt is heavily hunted. I swear I have been at good dove shoots that less shots.

This year, I missed at daylight Saturday morning and I only heard 2 other shots. Sunday morning I did not hear any shots. An "orange army" was in the woods. Saturday and Sunday evening there was some shooting, nothing like normal.

With that said, I missed and ended up killing a nice buck just after daylight. I hunt no matter what anytime I can in November.

I can tell you the 4 full days I hunted, over a period of about 8 years, the tree I was in I average seeing 20 deer each morning and evening, have seen more than 30 several times, 2 mornings of the last 5 I did not see a deer and there are tons of deer there. I saw deer every evening though.

I believe in November hunt every minute you can, all it takes is one time, if you are looking for a buck, for him to show up, no matter the weather conditions, or moon phase or temperature. Some of the best rut activity I have ever seen in middle Tennessee was on 65 - 70 degree days in November.

WTM

Headhunter":1yhswjjm said:
To me moon is a HUGE factor. Deer to some extent, don't move in the morning. They for sure move later in the day and the evenings. In Kentucky the past 5 mornings, since opening last Saturday gun season, there is usually a "dove shoot" with rifles happening most every morning and for sure Saturday and Sunday morning and evening opening weekend. The area I hunt is heavily hunted. I swear I have been at good dove shoots that less shots.

This year, I missed at daylight Saturday morning and I only heard 2 other shots. Sunday morning I did not hear any shots. An "orange army" was in the woods. Saturday and Sunday evening there was some shooting, nothing like normal.

With that said, I missed and ended up killing a nice buck just after daylight. I hunt no matter what anytime I can in November.

I can tell you the 4 full days I hunted, over a period of about 8 years, the tree I was in I average seeing 20 deer each morning and evening, have seen more than 30 several times, 2 mornings of the last 5 I did not see a deer and there are tons of deer there. I saw deer every evening though.

I believe in November hunt every minute you can, all it takes is one time, if you are looking for a buck, for him to show up, no matter the weather conditions, or moon phase or temperature. Some of the best rut activity I have ever seen in middle Tennessee was on 65 - 70 degree days in November.

i agree the moon is a factor, but not its moon phase but rather its position. it was proven 2 years ago after a 3 year study, and coincidentally it also disproves the 1986 study that everyone is so keen to refer to when they say that the moon vs movement relationship. it also affects fish and shellfish behavior.

in that same study they also disproved the myth that a pressured deer will move miles from its home range but the data shows differently.

but all of this doesnt mean that hunter harvest or hunter sightings will increase as that was the flaw in the 1986 study.

Thekla

Im a firm beleiver in putting as much time in the woods as you can, especially during rut because you never know!!

Latest posts