FT. CAMPBELL 2014

woodswise

Jamie thanks for the stats I am surprised at the ratio of bucks to doe and it would seem there needs to be some herd adjustment I just hope there is some flexibility in the harvest before the population gets whacked.

SKFOOTER

dungonehunting said:
SKFOOTER said:
Same thing happened on the Tennessee National Refuge. Especially on the Duck River Bottoms portion. It seems the point is to reduce the deer population population as a whole. And that's not a wise plan unless that's the goal.

Funny you say that the new biologist on fort is the biologist son from TN refuge.
Well if it's like father like son look for the deer population on the Fort to decline dramatically. The proof is in the pudding.

@fulldraw

Well, I just noticed the "earn a buck" is officially posted on the website for those that may doubt the change. Other than fish and wildlife manager, who is Gene Zirkle?

@fulldraw

Less than two weeks. Wonder how busy it'll be with hunters trying to fill their doe tag?

JDP, can you tell if the number of permits is up, down or about the same?

JDP

It's probably about the same. Just like the time the fees went up and the firearm registration...
Now Roost 1 don't quote me on the numbers, just saying from what I've seen at the office while working, I didn't count them or anything!

Roost 1

JDP said:
It's probably about the same. Just like the time the fees went up and the firearm registration...
Now Roost 1 don't quote me on the numbers, just saying from what I've seen at the office while working, I didn't count them or anything!

Didn't mean nothing by it, and actually I am good with whatever decision is made. I have been good with the decisions for about 23yrs but I think some valid points are being made in the "earn your buck" thread.....

JDP

I agree some valid points are being made. Unfortunately you and I don't make the rules. I would like to see some changes myself but I'm just the guy that sells the permits and checks in the deer.

LIL JOKER

THIS would work if a lot of areas are open ..but if its the same areas over and over we better kill one the first couple of weeks or we out..

hunterncoach

LIL JOKER said:
THIS would work if a lot of areas are open ..but if its the same areas over and over we better kill one the first couple of weeks or we out..
that us the only possible downside except for not being flexible once a target number of dies has been harvested. It's overrun with deer in the front where it's not open to hunting much. Not in the back as much.

Big JWC 50

LIL JOKER said:

Yup and don't forget the area is full and you drive around it and see 1 truck in an area that holds 15

FakeTree

"You may have two deer in your possession as long as one is a doe. If you
harvest a doe you have the option of 1) letting it lay and continuing to
hunt for a buck or 2) check the doe in and return hunting on the same day.
You hunting trip ends when you turn in your hunting assignment before legal
daily closing time."

This is an email I exchanged with Gene Zirkle...doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm just grateful that hunting is still allowed and encouraged here, especially with the way the world is headed.

Coon_huntr4life

Them active duty boys gonna be busier than a three-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond. To be or not to be should they be lockin them impact perimeter areas down with "phone games" for their usual buck-blocking games or will they lock down the easy doe nearer areas? Their poor little tater peelin fangers will be worn to a nub pushing all the buttons on Dial A Princess phone system.

New biologist, new colonel, new $8 hour people, nothing will change, enforcement is lax to non-existent. Business as usual.

Latest posts