For the Average Joe (Please Read - Pic Heavy)...

BlountArrow

I'm the average Joe. I don't eat fishing rod, balls, tongue, brains, whatever. But, after seeing a post of Poser's I thought, by golly, Ima gonna keep me the next deer heart I can get my hands on. You average Joes out there, like me, have got to try it. I have to tell you guys, it was actually very good, in fact, I would call it tender and delicious. I expected a very irony or gamey taste much like liver but it is nothing of the sort. In fact, it was sort of sweet. Here's a couple links for additional info:

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost3476220

http://gocarnivore.com/2012/11/06/heart-of-the-matter/

Disclaimer, I have no idea if I separated everything correctly as instructed in the links above, but I did my best and I do know that what I cooked up was dang good.

The Start

Removing the top/crown of the heart

Slicing Open (Note the Heart Strings)

Better look at the Heart Strings (never really knew such actually existed)

After trimming the fat what I was left with

The goods ready for the skillet

The final product (all it needed was a soft taco shell)

Again, I'm by far NO expert so for those that have tried this don't rip me on my technique. I just kept an open mind and tried it and it was great. I sauteed the veggies for a little bit and then threw the meat in for a quick sautee and man, was I impressed! I will never throw the heart away again (unless it is obliterated by the impact shot)!

7mm08

Looks great! I need to try that sometime if I miss on a heart shot. probably better tasting than liver.

BTW. Those "heart strings" are inside you too. Mitral and Tricuspid valves have those. Chordea Tendineae (the chords) attach the actual valve to the muscle below (papillary muscle)..Think of a guy on a parachute.

Mursenary

7mm08 said:
Looks great! I need to try that sometime if I miss on a heart shot. probably better tasting than liver.

BTW. Those "heart strings" are inside you too. Mitral and Tricuspid valves have those. Chordea Tendineae (the chords) attach the actual valve to the muscle below (papillary muscle)..Think of a guy on a parachute.

Looks like I am not the only one with a degree in medicine/biology!

I will have to try this! Better yet I wanna try it and not tell the wife until after she eats it.

The_Utility_Dude

I tried my first deer heart from a doe I killed in archery season. I had no idea how to get the meat ready for cooking so I basically just rinsed out the chambers, removed the crown and sliced the heart about 1/4 inch thick across the grain. Garlic salt and seasoned salt and fried one minute on each side in olive oil. Delicious is an understatement.

Even better than deer is bear heart. No longer will I discard this prime piece of meat.

BTW what is the primary purpose of removing the "heart strings"?

FULLDRAWXX75

You did great BA, for yrs. I always gave the heart and tongues to a old lady down the road, we kept the livers for ourselves. She passed away a few yrs. back and I started processing the heart as well. My son thinks it is as good or better than the tenderloins..................lol.

FDXX75

The_Utility_Dude

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
You did great BA, for yrs. I always gave the heart and tongues to a old lady down the road, we kept the livers for ourselves. She passed away a few yrs. back and I started processing the heart as well. My son thinks it is as good or better than the tenderloins..................lol.

FDXX75

I tend to agree with your son. I couldn't imagine a muscle that is constantly working could be so tender.

BlountArrow

plinker22 said:
After one of poser's posts, I tried some deer heart this past season as well. Very good.

Yours looked fantastic.

Thanks, pal! I was just shootin' from the hip mostly and trying to follow some previous links that had instructions.

Latest posts