For new turkey hunters advice

BamaHudson

Be patient and willing to walk farther into the woods than other folks. Public land in TN is eat up with people. I'm sure Middle TN is worse but still. Look for sign, you can trust it more than sound. Lot of silent gobblers on public land from being called to by 100 folks a day. Otherwise, spend as much time in the woods as possible and you'll eventually get one.

Hduke86

Pack a lunch and enjoy the day. Sit a while in one area and do some calling. Get up and SLOWLY move further into the woods away from people and repeat the process. Don't be in a rush and enjoy the warm weather. Sooner or later when everyone else is back at the truck or gone for the day a midday Tom will sound off and you'll have him all to yourself.

Hduke86

Be patient and willing to walk farther into the woods than other folks. Public land in TN is eat up with people. I'm sure Middle TN is worse but still. Look for sign, you can trust it more than sound. Lot of silent gobblers on public land from being called to by 100 folks a day. Otherwise, spend as much time in the woods as possible and you'll eventually get one.
Great minds think alike 🤣

Davyalabama

Don't call a lot. Find where they are, get there, and use clucks, purrs, soft yelps. If you are trying to run and gun like the Primos guys and other video gunners, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Those boys are doing things you won't be able to get away with on public lands. You aren't trying to put on a show and keep sponsors happy, you're trying to kill a bird that is being hunted by a whole bunch more people than the turkeys Primos and his ilk will ever hear in a lifetime. Can it happen like that, it sure can. It can happen on public land too, just hit him at the right time, and you may have to shoot him to keep him from running over you. The majority will never gobble, never make a sound, ease in, bust you fidgiting, and be gone without you knowing how good of caller you actually were.

CHRIS WILSON

I hunt exclusively public land. You'll find the woods less crowded while hunting Mon-Friday than you will on the weekends. As others have mentioned, get in the woods early and stay late. Both birds I killed last season were taken in the late morning hours right before lunch. Be willing to walk and cover some ground. Be patient when working a bird, especially when they go silent. Don't get so caught up in trying to make the kill that you miss out on just enjoying the experience.

Madbowh

Never give up just keep at it. It takes a split second for it to turn from horrible hint to successful or even a good day so don't get frustrated and start bashing yourself the area or others.

And by God practice your calling before you get in the woods.

Huntaholic

I had a cassette tape once by the late, great, Ben Rogers Lee and something he said on that tape has stuck with ever since. "If youre going to start turkey hunting, you better have 2 things: A good job with a good boss, and a good woman, cause if you dont youre gonna lose both of them!"

woodsman04

I had a cassette tape once by the late, great, Ben Rogers Lee and something he said on that tape has stuck with ever since. "If youre going to start turkey hunting, you better have 2 things: A good job with a good boss, and a good woman, cause if you dont youre gonna lose both of them!"

Correct. I have the same cassette tape

double browtine

If you are a new turkey hunter, the best advice I can give you is don't call to loud. If you strike up a Tom, then maybe sit down and call for a bit then stop. Then call again. If he answers you back with a gobble, then sit tight and wait. Call softly and make him think you're farther away than he thinks you are. Hunting with a buddy works great cause he can set up 50 yards behind you and if the Tom hangs up then you still might get a shot at him

Rakkin6

Patience, when you are ready to move force yourself to wait 10 more minutes, don't overcall (I know it's tempting), stick it out until 1300 or so, I have killed more birds after 1000 then before by double. I hunt public land exclusively.

Latest posts