? for jerky experts

eddie c

My wife and I have always bought jerky cure and seasonings. she is thinking about just mixing her own seasonings but has a question about the cure.

isnt the cure suppose to kill the bad stuff? Is the cure necessary? is there a homemade cure recipe or does it have to be store bought in order to get a proper cure?

thanks, Eddie

mike243

if you dont put any cure in you need to frezze/refridgerate it .id put the cure in & eat it without any ? .

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The Jerky cure in most mixes contains sodium nitrate. it is a preservative that some people avoid and others eat with no fear. It is a preserative in most lunch meats,hot dogs ect.
If you make your jerky with a high salt content and very hard and dry it will most likely be safe for a extended period of time.
There are alot of good recipes out there. Sometimes I make my own and fresze it till I'm ready to eat it.When making jerky for gifts I usally play it safe and get a mix with the cure and the nitrates.I don't want someone getting sick from leaving it laying around for a extended period of time.You can buy cure to ad to your own mix at alot of places.
http://www.jerkyfaq.com/recipes/jerky-brine.html

http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_and_wh ... itrite.htm

fishboy1

You basically have 3 choices.

1. Nitrate laced cure mix
2. High salt content/dry jerky
3. Heavy smoked dry jerky with some salt.

Here is my jerky mix.

1/8-1/4" sliced meat in a big ziplock bag.

Add equal parts Allegro hickory smoked marinade and Dr. Pepper.
Make sure you have enough to make a good bath for the meat.
Then I add about 10 good shakes of smoked tobasco into the bag and mix well. Allow to soak in fridge overnight massaging the bag several times to mix well.

Dehydrate until quite dry. I like mine dryer than any commercial jerky.

Will keep for about a week sealed in a ziplock bag unrefrigerated. Any longer than that and you run the risk of some white mold forming around the edges of any fat. So I stick it in the freezer and just fill a small ziplock bag with what I want for the day and leave the rest in the freezer.

redblood

cure isnt really needed for most recipes due to the high salt/high sugar and acid content found in most recipes. this creates an unsuitable environment for most bacteria to thrive. plus, how long will it lats anyone before it is eaten.

eddie c

thanks, guys.

one reason i asked is my wife has some health issues and has to watch her sodium intake. we're checking different ways of preparing our food for this reason.

redblood

Eddie try this recipe. One of my students brought it in and it was devised for people who need to watch their salt intake. It was great.

10 pounds thinly sliced venison

2 tsp coarsely grown black pepper

1 can mountain dew or sundrop

2 tbsp garlic powder (not salt)

2 tbsp onion powder (not salt)

1 tbsp cayenne powder

2 tbsp karo corn syrup

It is sweet but not overpowering but delicious. A student favorite and low in sodium.

Half cup terriyaki sauce

2 tbsp honey dijon mustard

eddie c

fishboy1 said:
You basically have 3 choices.

1. Nitrate laced cure mix
2. High salt content/dry jerky
3. Heavy smoked dry jerky with some salt.

Here is my jerky mix.

1/8-1/4" sliced meat in a big ziplock bag.

Add equal parts Allegro hickory smoked marinade and Dr. Pepper.
Make sure you have enough to make a good bath for the meat.
Then I add about 10 good shakes of smoked tobasco into the bag and mix well. Allow to soak in fridge overnight massaging the bag several times to mix well.

Dehydrate until quite dry. I like mine dryer than any commercial jerky.

Will keep for about a week sealed in a ziplock bag unrefrigerated. Any longer than that and you run the risk of some white mold forming around the edges of any fat. So I stick it in the freezer and just fill a small ziplock bag with what I want for the day and leave the rest in the freezer.

my wife has added this one to her book of recipes also. thanks.

vabuckbuster

I have made jerky for 25 years, and I've tried every recipe I've ever came across. almost all of them were good.

Now I just use LOW SODIUM dales. Most say it's as good as they've had. Saves a world of work (jerky's already a lot of work)

Just marinade for at least 4 hours.....no longer than 8, and you're good to go. Great tasting jerky. Just be sure to get the low sodium, the regular is too salty

bowriter

R.I.P.
redblood said:
I have an electric smoker and a dehydrator. Just got the e smoker. Anybogy ever made jerky on one. Should be perfect, if u can get the temp right

Just a suggestion. Start your jerky in the oven at 225 with oven door cracked. When it is about done, transfer to the smoker for 30-40 minutes. try and keep the temp below 225.

Rev Ev

@fishboy How much of that Dr. Pepper do you taste? I'm looking for some new recipes to try.

encore06

vabuckbuster said:
I have made jerky for 25 years, and I've tried every recipe I've ever came across. almost all of them were good.

Now I just use LOW SODIUM dales. Most say it's as good as they've had. Saves a world of work (jerky's already a lot of work)

Just marinade for at least 4 hours.....no longer than 8, and you're good to go. Great tasting jerky. Just be sure to get the low sodium, the regular is too salty
So Low Sodium Dales is ALL that you use in your marinade?

medic

TC4ever said:
encore06 said:
vabuckbuster said:

So Low Sodium Dales is ALL that you use in your marinade?

X2?

Dales is all I use.

MUP

I use Dales along with some soy and worcestershire sauce, a little onion powder and shake in some finely ground black pepper, then sprinkle with course black pepper while on the dehydrator. Oh, also put in a dash of liquid smoke. I have folks asking me when I'm making more constantly. ;)

skynimrod

vabuckbuster said:

Same here pretty much.
I use Moore's Marinade, and then smoke 13 hrs in my little chef smoker for a good dry Jerk> (bend & slight tearing of tissue when done).
My family & friends go nuts over it.

Latest posts