food plot feed input

NewGuy

Good Afternoon All. Got my food plot(s) limed and an initial fertilizer application laid down. I want to finalize what I am putting in them this weekend so I can pick up my seeds from Co Op.

I'm in the Middle TN area. I tilled a .4 acre plot and I have a much smaller "kill Plot" in the woods. This is only my second year doing one of these. I used clover last time and didnt do a soil sample (new guy) and I'm sure the clover tasted bad from the soil PH.

I'm looking at some oats/Crimson clover/Turnips/Radishes in some combination. The smaller Kill Plot is up in the hard woods and I want it to help channel deer down to my main plot on the edge of my open field.

Should I do a different feed in the kill Plot?

Thanks for the tips and advice. I am learning quite a bit from this group.

rem270

I would probably plant you some wheat and maybe mix something in that for the woods.

My buck forage oats came in last week. Plan on going to find some clover and wheat to put in my plot and hope to get it planted this weekend or next week.

BSK

I've been doing food plots in Middle TN for over 25 years and I've rarely found any mix better than wheat and crimson clover for small hardwood ridge plots. The question is, can you get crimson clover in small enough quantities for only 1/2 acre total (or whatever you need). A 50 lb bag of crimson clover would cover a lot more than that!

NewGuy

I've been doing food plots in Middle TN for over 25 years and I've rarely found any mix better than wheat and crimson clover for small hardwood ridge plots. The question is, can you get crimson clover in small enough quantities for only 1/2 acre total (or whatever you need). A 50 lb bag of crimson clover would cover a lot more than that!
Co Op has it by the pound here in Wilson Co.

I appreciate the input!

Any input for the open field?

BSK

If you want to go "whole hog," a mix of buckwheat, Austrian winter peas, crimson clover and wheat (or oats, but I prefer wheat) is what I use in my big plots. The buckwheat is just a "cover" crop for the other plants. Deer love it, but it will die with the first freeze. However, it will take browse pressure off the other plants until the first freeze.

DoubleRidge

Can't go wrong with winter wheat and crimson clover...I'd keep it simple (and affordable) you could mix in some turnip, radish or rape....but any barasicas need to be put out soon so they have an opportunity to get some size....sow the wheat heavy....then come back in a couple weeks and fill in any thin areas and layer some more wheat in.....thick and green will be nice later this fall.... especially if you don't have many acorns.

BigAl

If you want to go "whole hog," a mix of buckwheat, Austrian winter peas, crimson clover and wheat (or oats, but I prefer wheat) is what I use in my big plots. The buckwheat is just a "cover" crop for the other plants. Deer love it, but it will die with the first freeze. However, it will take browse pressure off the other plants until the first freeze.
What kind of wheat? Seems like I recall you used to recommend VNS wheat, is that still the case?

BSK

Correct. VNS just stands for Variety Not Specified. It is cleaned and certified, but not a name brand. Much cheaper. Just DON'T use Feed Wheat. I made that mistake years ago and I'm still trying to clean the weeds out of my plots that planting Feed Wheat introduced. Feed Wheat has NOT been cleaned of weed seeds and will contain some really nasty ones.

megalomaniac

Correct. VNS just stands for Variety Not Specified. It is cleaned and certified, but not a name brand. Much cheaper. Just DON'T use Feed Wheat. I made that mistake years ago and I'm still trying to clean the weeds out of my plots that planting Feed Wheat introduced. Feed Wheat has NOT been cleaned of weed seeds and will contain some really nasty ones.
Not to get too deep into the weeds, but it is also better to specifically ask for 'awnless' or 'beardless' VNS wheat. If it gets to maturity and forms heads, deer love the awnless heads, but won't touch the bearded heads.

this year is $16 per 50lb bag at co-op... ouch.

megalomaniac

Good Afternoon All. Got my food plot(s) limed and an initial fertilizer application laid down. I want to finalize what I am putting in them this weekend so I can pick up my seeds from Co Op.

I'm in the Middle TN area. I tilled a .4 acre plot and I have a much smaller "kill Plot" in the woods. This is only my second year doing one of these. I used clover last time and didnt do a soil sample (new guy) and I'm sure the clover tasted bad from the soil PH.

I'm looking at some oats/Crimson clover/Turnips/Radishes in some combination. The smaller Kill Plot is up in the hard woods and I want it to help channel deer down to my main plot on the edge of my open field.

Should I do a different feed in the kill Plot?

Thanks for the tips and advice. I am learning quite a bit from this group.
put 50lbs of wheat, 2lbs of clover, 2lbs radishes in the .4ac plot and you will be happy. In the future, don't fertilize before you seed. The nitrogen evaporates fairly quickly and you are wasting more $$$'s.

This year, I'm not going to even fertilize until AFTER I'm sure I have decent germination since it's gotten so much more expensive.

BSK

Not to get too deep into the weeds, but it is also better to specifically ask for 'awnless' or 'beardless' VNS wheat. If it gets to maturity and forms heads, deer love the awnless heads, but won't touch the bearded heads.

this year is $16 per 50lb bag at co-op... ouch.
Interesting.

Yes, I paid $16/50lb bag as well.

JCDEERMAN

Hard to find awnless. Every time I ask co-op if they have any, they look at me as if I'm from another planet. Last year, a couple folks here gave me a few locations knowledgeable of awnless wheat.

NewGuy

put 50lbs of wheat, 2lbs of clover, 2lbs radishes in the .4ac plot and you will be happy. In the future, don't fertilize before you seed. The nitrogen evaporates fairly quickly and you are wasting more $$$'s.

This year, I'm not going to even fertilize until AFTER I'm sure I have decent germination since it's gotten so much more expensive.
This was a slow nitrogen release blend to help with it dissipating too quickly.

I do appreciate the feedback though!

gobblesandgrunts

I put one of mine in 2.5 weeks ago and the other in week and a half ago. I used wheat in both, with some crimson clover and mixed in some oats. Used it before and always had success. I fertilized right after, I try to stay out of those areas as much as I can before season and those plays have done excellent. One is already ate down to dirt though that I can see on my pictures. Granted the spypoint pictures aren't very clear but it's a 100$ camera what you pay for is what you get. Looks like I might have planned them a little early how they are already ate down but even if I waited, would it made that much of a difference?

NewGuy

I put one of mine in 2.5 weeks ago and the other in week and a half ago. I used wheat in both, with some crimson clover and mixed in some oats. Used it before and always had success. I fertilized right after, I try to stay out of those areas as much as I can before season and those plays have done excellent. One is already ate down to dirt though that I can see on my pictures. Granted the spypoint pictures aren't very clear but it's a 100$ camera what you pay for is what you get. Looks like I might have planned them a little early how they are already ate down but even if I waited, would it made that much of a difference?
That's absolutely wild that they already have hit it that hard.

Latest posts