Fluorocarbon vs. Mono for Fly tippet.

ghosthunter

I've been usind fluorocarbon tippet lately, but I think it's too stiff and I'm sure the trout can still see it. I'm thinking getting a good drift is much more important than the visibility of the line.

Radar

I haven't used it for tippet yet , but I do use it on my baitcasting outfits. I have read of guys using it for tippets and some guys liked it better than tapered leaders. It is supposed to be less visible under water than mono.
It does sink faster than mono of comparable test strength. That may be affecting the drift?

B.D.

I agree that getting a good drift is more important. If you can't get a good drift, it doesn't matter what kind of line you use - you won't catch fish. Also, line visibility only goes so far. A hundred years ago, people were fly fishing with silkworm gut, which is WAY more visible than the thickest monofilament, and they still caught some fish.

That said, all other things being equal, fluorocarbon tippet will give you an advantage.

bd

Fordman

They both have their applications where they shine. Much like conventional line you have to give something to get something. Flouro is virtually invisible underwater but its stiffer. Mono is not invisible but it floats and does not have the abrasion resistance that flouro does. All things considered if you fish floating flies stay with mono. If you fish nymphs or midges flouro is the ticket. If your like most versitile fly fisherman and fish whatever works try a spool of both in your vest. Let the situation dictate your choice rather than try to make one tippet material do both.

jakeway

For wets and nymphs my leaders have butt sections of 25, 20, and 15 lb red Amnesia; mid section of 10,8, and 6 lb Vanish flouro, and tippets of 5x and/or 6X mono. I also have 7X mono and 6x Flouro tippet material, but seldom use them.

For streamers I use 18" of 20 lb mono and 18" of 10 or 12 lb mono, with a sinking line.

For dries I usually either use the same leader as for nymphng (usually because I'm originally nypmphing when the fish start rising) or I put on a tapered leader with mono tippet of appropriate size.

B.D.

I'm not patient enough to build my own leaders. :)

For nymphing I use a 9' tapered leader, usually 5x, and I add a few feet of 5x to 7x fluoro tippet depending on conditions.

For streamers I just go with a single level piece of 10 or 12 lb. line, usually fluoro. I haven't found that I get much benefit from a tapered leader when I'm throwing big streamers on a sinking line or shooting head. Plus, I want as few knots (breaking points) between the flyline and the fly as possible when I might be getting a vicious strike from a really big brown or striper.

I never get enough good opportunities to dry fly fish to have a special leader for them. :)

bd

gil1

I build my own but only because I have to. I started using that Whitlock Line to Leader system where you glue the butt section of your tippet inside the core of the fly line. I love it because you can pull the leader through the guides when you land a fish. It seems to have a very smooth connection, and I haven't had one break or pull out yet.

Anyway, I've had the same butt section of the tippet on all my lines for years, so I have to build tippet to them to make leaders. It's not for everyone but I love it.

I use fluoro. If I change to a dry fly, I switch tippets to mono and grease the fluoro section with floatant.

Lemme see if I can find that Whitlock illustration for those interested.

gil1

Here it is.

WhitlockLinetoLeader.jpg

Radar

I saw that illustration in Whitlock's LL Bean book on fly fishing. It looks like a good connection.
As for the zapa gap ? Is that just super glue gel type adhesive ? If not , where can I buy it ?

gil1

I've been told the adhesive is very important. Zap A Gap is not the same as Super Glue. It fills "gaps." There are a couple different kinds, and the tube with orange on it is supposed to be the right one. Any fly shop should have it. I don't know if you can get it elsewhere - maybe a hobby store.

gil1

captain hook said:
It is super glue.

Didn't see your post. A few years ago, the Whitlocks were the speakers at our local TU banquet. Emily taught a casting class in which she showed us the Line to Leader connection. Someone asked the very same question, and she explained that orange Zap a Gap was the ticket and that Super Glue wouldn't hold the connection. I never tried any other adhesive so I can't say, but I was just repeating what she said.

Radar

gil1 said:
captain hook said:
It is super glue.

Didn't see your post. A few years ago, the Whitlocks were the speakers at our local TU banquet. Emily taught a casting class in which she showed us the Line to Leader connection. Someone asked the very same question, and she explained that orange Zap a Gap was the ticket and that Super Glue wouldn't hold the connection. I never tried any other adhesive so I can't say, but I was just repeating what she said.

Gil , I just did a Google search . It is made by Super Glue Corp. :D
http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt04.html

gil1

Scott61 said:
gil1 said:
captain hook said:
It is super glue.

Gil , I just did a Google search . It is made by Super Glue Corp. :D
http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt04.html

Yes, but a totally different product that is made for totally different applications. Super Glue still might work, but it most likely will not. I'd be curious to find out, but not on my own fly rig. :grin:

gil1

Scott61 said:
How quick does it cure ? I saw on the website that it can take up to 24 hours , but they have the quick drying stuff too.

Interesting. I had no idea. I usually try to break the connection with my hands within a minute or so. Guess I shouldn't do that.

B.D.

I actually like the new welded-on loops that are coming standard on a lot of new flylines. Some people seem to despise them, but they have done great for me.

Tying nail knots has got to be one of my least favorite things in the world. :)

Hey Gil - I've been using Super Glue instead of Zap-a-Gap for fly tying. Am I out of bounds?

bd

gil1

I use Super Glue for tying too.

I swear. Madame Whitlock went into detail about how Zap A Gap fills gaps, and you create tiny gaps in the tippet when you sandpaper it, thus why you have to use Zap a Gap, the orange kind specifically.

I don't give a crap if you use a staple gun. :D

I used to use the loop to loop connections all the time but stopped. Can't recall why. I still use the perfection loop for some conventional saltwater applications (namely to tie a hook on a tarpon rig), but again, I have no idea why.

I'm embarassed to say that I've never tied a nail knot. I guess I want the guy behind the counter to feel needed. Or I don't friggin' know how! :D

I wish that guy had been in my boat when my trolling motor ate my fly line. :blush:

Latest posts