Fletchings ???

Super8

Is it complicated to put fletchings on?
Should I just have it done at the shop?

Ordered some more Pile Drivers and they came in today.
Just didn't have the fletchings. RAW Arrows

TNDeerGuy

There is no way I would ever pay a shop to put fletchings on personally...way to easy. The initial purchase of what you need will set you back a little, but that will easily be made up in a fairly short time�plus you get friends you didn't know you had....LOL. :)

Veg. peeler $3
Loctite super glue gel $3
acetone $4
green scrubby pad $1
fletching jig $30-$80 (depending on what you want) ---I use the Bohning right offset jig $35-$40
I buy fletchings, Blazers, in packs of 100 for $12-$15

Take veg peeler and remove old glue and fletching. Take green scrubby pad and scuff surface and then wipe down with acetone. Place fletching in jig handle and using a q-tip dipped in acetone, lightly clean vane surface by taking a few swipes, then apply glue a very thin bead of glue and then place on jig...wait 30 seconds and remove handle and then start the next one.

As far as glue, I have found a better glue. It is made/carried by Shrewd Archery�discovered it at the Illinois Pro-Am and fasteddie talkled me into trying it as he was the guinea pig....It is the cat's meow!!! It is not carried on their site and you have to call them to order it. It is $18 dollars a bottle, but it will last for dozens of arrows...Loctite gel is good for about 2-3 dozen. It is also easier to apply and doesn't leave a mess on the arrow like the others can if your not careful.

cozy23

TNDeerGuy is right. I like doing it because I always feel better if I know/can do my own work. Plus you get to customize your own arrows.

Where do you buy your fletchings TNDeerGuy?

Super8

Good deal....Thanks
I figured it may take some type of jig to get it set correctly on each arrow.
Plus with the equipment I could replace fletchings that tear once in awhile during shooting.

Sounds like the plan, I will pick this stuff up

TNDeerGuy

You got it Super 8�that is why I do it. Plus, cozy is right as well.....you get to customize your own arrows with your colors and crestings, wraps or whatever you want to do.

Cozy, I use to order them from Lancaster Archery, but since Matt @ EnergyWave opened his shop.....I get everything archery related through him�often at a better price.

FOX FIRE

Since fletching will be new to you, get some cheap vanes & practice gluing them on some old shafts, give yourself time to learn it, dont want to mess up some new arrows this close to season.

But thers not much to it, youtube should have plenty of how to stuff, about the only way I dont fletch mine is if I buy them ready to go, then I cant wait to redo them myself so I know ther done rite, once yo get the hang of it its fun & just one more thing you can do yourself & dont have to depend on someone else.

G_Man

SUPER8 there's a guy on here...hitek7...just sold me a bitzenburger, which is a very solid jig, for a good price. he told me he had extras, but i only needed one. they're old, but theyre rock solid jigs. message him!!

Super8

Got it done tonight. Baught the glue,fletchings,jig and
Put the vanes on a dozen arrows. Saved myself $48... thats what they wanted to do it for you.

TNDeerGuy

Very nice! Just about paid for itself in one felt swoop huh? :)

One more thing....put a dab of glue on the front and back of each vane where it contacts the shaft for better durability.

Super8

I baught the Bohning jig $39
and baught the Blazers vanes
and some G-Lock Blue Glue
Just had to get the jig perfect and it went good.

Latest posts