feather fletchings

hunter82

i am gonna use feather fletching this year and was about to order them.it ask what wing i needed .i shoot right handed so do i ned right wing and is the amg feathers and good or do i need the barred feathers. thanks for any help

Radar

It depends on the jig clamp you have ? If it is a RH helical clamp ,that is what you need . Straight or LH will not work for RH feathers .

TheAirMan

Radar said:
Straight or LH will not work for RH feathers .

You sure about that Radar? I'm looking hear where it is telling about some Gateway feathers and it says right-wing feathers require a right or straight clamp.

TheAirMan

BTW, if he does order some feathers that are not already on some arrows, I have a suspicion they will be fletched with bitz using a straight clamp :whistle:

Radar

I have always used a RH clamp with RH feathers because it has the proper angle for the feathers to get good helical while making good contact with the shaft . A straight clamp could probably be used , but the helical clamp is better for feathers .
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Here are a few of a dozen I fletched up recently.

DSCF1327.jpg

onebuck

hunter82 said:
i am gonna use feather fletching this year and was about to order them.it ask what wing i needed .i shoot right handed so do i ned right wing and is the amg feathers and good or do i need the barred feathers. thanks for any help

Hunter, just order you some Gateway feathers from one of the common suppliers, (Cabelas, Archery Warehouse, etc). They seem to be the brand that most of them carry. Whether or not you buy barred feathers is just a matter of choice. They tend to make your arrow more traditional-looking.

I'd get right wing if I wanted to fletch in right helical, right offset, or straight. The right wing will work for any of those as long as you have the proper jig clamps.

Have fun!

Latest posts