Feathers vs Vanes

BigRod

Who shoots what and why do you prefer one over the other. I have a dozen gold tip pro hunters gave to me yesterday. They have feathers on them. I had been shooting vanes, can't wait to get some time in this evening.

eddie c

I started shooting feathers over 25 years ago. at the time, no one but serious target shooters micro-tuned their bows, rests and arrows to fly like darts like we do today. the hunters just wanted it good enough to kill a deer. feathers will carry a broadhead better and back then a lot of times feathers were used to clean up flight problems with BHs.
back then most of the time the only vanes smaller than 4" was on kiddie arrows.
vanes are better in wet conditions. you can lose part of the feather and still get good flight. there are pros and cons of both. it boils down to personal choice.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
I really prefer feathers over vanes but they cease to exist when wet. If you drag them through wet corn or a misty morning, they'll be layed down on the shaft and useless. as much as I like them, I started shooting vanes (2" blazer) because they are more practical but not necessarily better

RidgeRunner13

Crappie Luck":1y5k3neu said:
I really prefer feathers over vanes but they cease to exist when wet. If you drag them through wet corn or a misty morning, they'll be layed down on the shaft and useless. as much as I like them, I started shooting vanes (2" blazer) because they are more practical but not necessarily better
X2

AlexDad

I shoot 4" vanes because of durability. Only shoot 4" variety over blazer because I started out with 4" and got used to them and have a ton left over to re-fletch. I've stuck with vanes because when I target shoot with broadheads I pull them all the way thru when retrieving my arrow. If I pull it out of the target like a field tip, the broadhead removes half of the material with it and you have a big hole eventually. You're eventually gonna get a big hole anyway, but it's a lot quicker if you pull it out like a field tip. Plus like above, when they get damp, they're done.

Os2 Outdoors

Crappie Luck":2shrfuwu said:
Camp dry fixes that.

Feathers all the way here.
978afb6842b29071fa147d70721db098.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Latest posts