5 pin fixed vs single pin

gun nut

What are your thoughts I have a Mathews vx3 with the new axcel Mathews bridge lock sight it seems like the pins are so close together my target is a little blurry but where I hunt sometimes has to be quick shots no time to dial yardage on a single pin

JCDEERMAN

Just depends on your preference. I like a 3 pin sight because it reduces confusion when the moment gets hyped up (and that happens - especially out west on a bull elk screaming in your face). With the bow you have, imo, there is no reason for a 5 pin sight. It shoots extremely fast. My dad handed me down his bow now that he's too old to pull it back. It has a 5 pin sight and I just lowered the bottom 2 pins as low as they'd go just to get them out of frame. Also depends on your comfortable shot distance - some people have goal set in their head of maximum 30 yards - no exceptions. If that's you, a single pin is all you need. Again, all preference. Best of luck

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've been shooting a single pin sight for a long time and prefer it over multi pin sights. The new bows shoot so fast now, the pins are stack together and hard to differentiate. I just leave my pin set at 20 yards in case something comes in fast. On longer shots I have time to range and adjust.

To each his own.
I've tried all of them. But over the years (40), I've found Montana Black Gold to be my favorite.
I really like the "dimmer" that controls the brightness of the fiber optics according to the amount of sunlight. REALLY bright pins tend to bleed a bit for me obscuring the target a little.

I chose a 5 pin sight but removed 2 of them with the bottom pin a mover. Which I've never had to use.
25/35/45 will do it for my 3 pins.

When I elk hunt I have never had to move the bottom pin though I could if need be.

I stay with 3 pins because I need things simple.
My brain (under stress) knows top is cloys, middle is a little farther, and the bottom is far.

Safari Hunt

I did the archery part of a hunter education class several years ago. Asked this same question: One guy had seven pins. The guy next to him had one pin. I have three pins: 15, 25, 35.

CrossVolle

I have been holding out. But i think i have finally decided to go with the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL with the double pin for my V3X.

JN

I have the same bow and ended up with a 2 pin Eddie spott hog. I tried a 5 pin and it seemed too crowded and couldn't see the target. The Eddie has the pins stacked so it feels a single pin but isn't. Dial has two marks for both pins. I typically keep top pin set at 20 and bottom pin is about 34. Pins are not individually adjustable. Your sight it in like a single pin but have a lower pin if you need to make a longer shot quickly. I also practice at other distance other than what I have it set at to know how the 20 yard pin hits at say 10-15 and same with bottom pin at 40-45 so if I don't have time to adjust I can still make my own adjustment on my aim.

gun nut

I have the same bow and ended up with a 2 pin Eddie spott hog. I tried a 5 pin and it seemed too crowded and couldn't see the target. The Eddie has the pins stacked so it feels a single pin but isn't. Dial has two marks for both pins. I typically keep top pin set at 20 and bottom pin is about 34. Pins are not individually adjustable. Your sight it in like a single pin but have a lower pin if you need to make a longer shot quickly. I also practice at other distance other than what I have it set at to know how the 20 yard pin hits at say 10-15 and same with bottom pin at 40-45 so if I don't have time to adjust I can still make my own adjustment on my aim.
Did you have any problems with windage adjustments I've been reading some are I ordered one and I'm going to try it

Wolverine72

I've been shooting a single pin sight for a long time and prefer it over multi pin sights. The new bows shoot so fast now, the pins are stack together and hard to differentiate. I just leave my pin set at 20 yards in case something comes in fast. On longer shots I have time to range and adjust.
Same here. Love the single pin. Leave it on 20 and it's spot on for me from 10-25. I practice other distances without moving the pin in case life happens fast. I don't like to shoot past 30 or 35, so leaving it at 20 works great for me

JN

Did you have any problems with windage adjustments I've been reading some are I ordered one and I'm going to try it
No I did not. Once I got it dialed in was shooting out to 80 yards with it. The only thing I didn't like about the sight was no way to adjust brightness of the pins. I ended up using blue painters tape and would take it off in low light. I was also using .010 pins and have been thinking of buying another sight just so I can leave this one set up for the current arrows I am shooting. I am changing it all up this year on arrows and poundage I shoot. In hopes of reducing some shoulder pain I am getting from an old basketball injury.

buckaroo

Crowded pins is why I went from 5 pins, to one pin, and then to the 3 pins 20,40,60 yds I can see and shoot long distance not so much at game but long range practice makes you a better archer

tree_ghost

Totally depends on the area I'm hunting and game I'm hunting. If I'm in tight cover hunting whitetail then I'm taking my bow with a Tommy Hogg single pin. Of all the deer I've killed with a bow only a handful have been outside of 25yards so there's not much room for pin adjustment at those distances. When I go out west this fall hunting elk I'll be taking my bow that has a Fast Eddie 3 pin. Pins will be set at 30,40,50 with my 40 yard pin being my rover. I use my middle pin as a rover since it's a different color than my top and bottom pins.

Iglow

If you love being cheap you'll love this. Instead of spending money on a sight I took a piece of piano wire and made an "L" shape with a loop on the end and mounted it on the inside sight hole (inside the sight window). It can adjust a little for elevation but windage is what it is. I made it long and cut it down till the windage was right. It hits dead on at 18 yards for my bow. I've used it for a while and killed 2 deer with it last season. I wouldn't go back to a store bought sight for anything. My bow is low poundage and at 30 I hold the pin at the bottom of the spine and at 10 I just hold it dead on just like at 18. It takes maybe 3/4 shots at each yardage to know where to hold the 1 pin and the whole process takes maybe an hour. It's cheap, practically indestructible and it works, what else do you need?

Latest posts