Fishing With John Godwin

rsimms

I got to go on a little outdoor writer junket in Wetumpka, Ala., fishing the Alabama River. I had the honor of spending an afternoon on the water with none other than John Godwin of Duck Dynasty fame. John obviously knows his way around Duck Commander duck calls, but trust me, he also knows his way around LiveScoping for bruiser crappie. Folks remember John as a bit of a goofball, funny-man on Duck Dynasty, but when he's crappie fishing he's all business - still funny, but focused on putting big crappie in the livewell. One of these days I'll be writing a story and answer the question, "Would Godwin rather duck hunt or crappie fish?" Hmmm? What will the answer be? Sometimes I feel a little guilty about the things I get to do in the outdoor writing field.

186517041_10224348420011954_8145037455333391998_n.jpg
186527015_10224348420651970_5525598901173420678_n.jpg
187065835_10224348420331962_5680883922418159923_n.jpg

JCDEERMAN

Which way are yall talking about how he cooks crappie? I've seen several ways he does it, but never tried them. Just wondered which way ya'll are referring to.

When he put butter in the microwave for 2 minutes just to melt it, I wondered what was going to happen. Then he showed the tupperware bowl had a hole melted through the bottom of it and butter everywhere 🤣

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Which way are yall talking about how he cooks crappie? I've seen several ways he does it, but never tried them. Just wondered which way ya'll are referring to.

When he put butter in the microwave for 2 minutes just to melt it, I wondered what was going to happen. Then he showed the tupperware bowl had a hole melted through the bottom of it and butter everywhere 🤣
I do half in mustard and flour and the other half in Frank's red hot and flour. He's been using sour cream and flour lately but I haven't tried that yet.

JCDEERMAN

I do half in mustard and flour and the other half in Frank's red hot and flour. He's been using sour cream and flour lately but I haven't tried that yet.
Cool - thanks! I want to try how he did it on the grill. Pat dry, season, shredded parmesan on top with plenty of drizzled butter, then put on the grill with some smoke.

Crow Terminator

I don't really know if you call it a "batter" but he does a few different ways. He pats the fillets dry then adds either yellow mustard or sour cream to the mixing bowl. All the mustard or sour cream does is make a nice coating for the flour or cornmeal to stick to...and makes the fillets look great. I can't remember (without watching again) which way he does it now. I've tried it both ways and I personally prefer the mustard method. There's really not a taste difference but the mustard is easier cleanup for me vs the sour cream or a dipping batter.

Latest posts