Fishing line question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I use Seaguar Red Label Florocarbon line.
I use 6# test for bream and 10# test for bass on my baitcasters.
One of my fishing buddies always tells me 10# is too light for bass and when I am flipping bushes I agree with him but I don't do that very often so it's kind of a non-issue for me.

I did break off on the hookset a couple times last year so this year I was thinking about going up a bit in size.
I have never used either and can't decide between the two.
Would you go with 12 or 15 pound?

I figure 12 ain't THAT much different than 10 and if I am gonna go up I might as well go up to 15.
I don't want to lose alot of casting distance though.

Just curious.

Os2 Outdoors

I do exactly like you do while fishing open water.

While flipping bushes I like the security and sensitivity of braid though. Usually a 50# test at least.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WTM

depends on the baits you are using and how deep you are fishing. 8-10lb is fine for drop shot, jerk baits and other finesse rigs in fall and winter but in summer when fishing more aggressively then you can move up in line weight. smaller diameter line helps to get deeper on the ledges most of the time. 12lb will get deeper quicker than 15lb. shallow fishing in the summer 15 and even 20lb would be fine. for pitching and flipping you can use 20-25lb flouro but if there is grass or pads better use braid.

why do you use flouro on your breem setups? spinning reels?

woodyard

Ruger, Remember you get less diameter with the flourocarbon compared to mono. You can go up lb test and still be same size or,close,in diameter.. that 15 lb seaguar is about the same diameter as 12 lb mono. The 8 is about same a 6 lb mono.
I am putting 15 lb seaguar on the bass rods and use the 8 lb on the trout rods and just using up all the oddball monos I,have on the crappie poles and going to a short flouro leader

By the way I am almost cured and ready to go fishing.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
WTM":1dx6adpq said:
why do you use flouro on your breem setups? spinning reels?

Honestly it started out by me trout fishing and I went to it so I could actually catch some.
Then I just left it on all my spinning reels and noticed a big difference in the amount of fish I caught when bream fishing so I kept it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
woodyard":2bhw2355 said:
Ruger, Remember you get less diameter with the flourocarbon compared to mono. You can go up lb test and still be same size or,close,in diameter.. that 15 lb seaguar is about the same diameter as 12 lb mono. The 8 is about same a 6 lb mono.
I am putting 15 lb seaguar on the bass rods and use the 8 lb on the trout rods and just using up all the oddball monos I,have on the crappie poles and going to a short flouro leader

By the way I am almost cured and ready to go fishing.

Yeah I think the 15# is like .013 diameter.
I am about decided that is the route I am gonna go.
Just got to get me an order up to tackle warehouse so I can buy the 1,000 yard spools. Much cheaper and lots less waste that way.

TN Larry

It all depends on what type of baits and cover that you are fishing. 15 lb test is a good all around size for a bait caster. Actually under most circumstances, I only use under 15 on a baitcaster for a crankbait or jerk bait. For example, I throw a crankbait or jerkbait on 10 lb but throw a casting jig on 15 lb, a spinnerbait on 17 or 20, a-rig on 20 lb, and flip cover with 20 or 25. It all depends on application, but 15 is a good all around size.

Headhunter

For flipping I would use 20 lb HIGH IMPACT, clear. I can throw a 1/4 oz rat-l-trap a long ways with it and have never broke off catching a bass while using it. A large striper or 2 have broke off while using it, but never a bass and I have caught a bunch and some nice bass while using it. I use it for frog, buzz bait, pompadour jr, spinnerbait, rat-l-trap, treklfrog, and striper fishing when I throw a 7" redfin. It is amazing how strong and limber it is, but it is hard to find.

whitetailz

I'm fishing 10lb Trilene pretty much exclusively anymore except on my spinners then I'll go to 6lb or even 4lb. I already know I can't push my luck too hard around heavy cover. It's an excepted risk on my part. I'm not flipping but I will pitch selectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts