First or Second Focal Planes?

backroads

I am curious to your opinions on front focal plane rifle scopes. I am in the market for a scope for my Swiss Arms SHR970 300WinMag. I like the idea of the rectile staying true at any magnification. A lot of the European scopes are FFP and there are a few made here in the good ole USA. Some of these are the Vortex Viper PST, Bushnell Elite 4200, and I think Leupold makes some also. Out of my price range unfortunately is the Nightforce F1. One that really interests me (once I get past the looks of it) is the Burris Eliminator III that should be released later this month.

Do you guys even consider the difference between first and second focal planes? Do you think there is any advantage or disadvantage? I have always hunted with SFP, but think I want to switch things up a little to see if I find it advantageous.

backroads

It's different than the adjustable objective. It has to deal with where the rectile is installed and how it does or does not increase as you adjust magnification. Here is a link to a pdf that explains it pretty good: http://www.precisionshooting.com.au/dow ... ffpvssfp(1).pdf

In short the front focal plane (cross hairs) increase or decrease when the magnification is increased/decreased along with the target you are looking at. Holding the target true at any magnification.

Whereas a second focal plane scope the focal plane (cross hairs) remains one constant size when increasing or decreasing the magnification of your target. So if you sight in your 3x9 power scope at 9 then that is what it is truly sighted in for. If you shoot your target at 3 power it will be slightly off. At a 100 yards not a big deal, but at 400 yards that diffeence can add up. (not that I could shoot 400 yards at 3 power!)

At least that is my understanding of it.

Plateau Hunter

It is not something I worry about for the type of hunting and shooting that I do. All my scopes are sfp except one and the thickening of crosshairs at higher power especially at longer ranges is undesirable imo. I just look at price, size, power, and warranty. PH

backroads

I suspect most people don't even consider it when looking to buy a scope unless they routinely shoot long distances. I was just curious.

mr.big

I would at all cost have the FFP and .10 Mil adjustments for the rifle you have,

I have the 3-15 Weaver Tact on my 338 Lapua with the Enhanced mil reticle and it really helps you track on target at range,,
makes things very simple when you see where bullet hits,you can either measure the adjustment in your reticle and make adjustments or hold off for the next shot,,at any power,,

if you ever try it you wont go back.

backroads

I am thinking I am going to go with the Burris Eliminator III when it is released. I got a birthday coming up so the wife can get me that. I'm thinking if the laser part breaks then I am back to a basic (heavy) scope.

Latest posts