Finding dove shoots?

mike243

Kiwanis club down towards Sweetwater use to put on a shoot where they fed you a grilled ribeye and a side and a drink for $40-$50 , couldn't start shooting till 1:00 was the only downside, always enjoyed it even if the birds were sparce.

Mud Creek

I hear you. That seems to be about the going rate from what I've seen and heard. If it was a good field, with food provided, and the field isn't crowded with people then that seems pretty fair. That said, if it was 125 I'd say no way too expensive lol. The average person doesn't have a place to go, or own the equipment to do their own which is why public fields are a $#!+ show. Not dove hunting isn't a option for me so if I was in either of those boats 100 bucks would be a steal if the field was as mentioned earlier. I wouldn't be doing it every weekend though.

Seems when I was a lot younger it was 50, in some cases 25, but usually 50. There were some higher but 50 was the norm so if it's only doubled in all that time then that's actually surprisingly low considering how hard it is now to find a private spot for ANY sort of hunting.

I hunt public the first 3 or 4 days of season and what I see and hear in the field in those few days makes me so appreciative of my place and a few others that I hunt later in the season.

Texan11285

I go to TWRA lease fields every year, met some good guys, also some idiots.
Glad you posted about the TWRA lease fields. I would be interested in joining someone to hunt. I see that Wolf River has some. Have you ever hunted there? I'm thinking of driving there to scout out and see what those fields look like. When I lived in Texas, Labor Day was the special white wing season. I would hunt the public dove fields around the rice fields of the Gulf Coast and down in south Texas near Brownsville. Loved me some bacon wrapped dove breasts.

Tweeter

Glad you posted about the TWRA lease fields. I would be interested in joining someone to hunt. I see that Wolf River has some. Have you ever hunted there? I'm thinking of driving there to scout out and see what those fields look like. When I lived in Texas, Labor Day was the special white wing season. I would hunt the public dove fields around the rice fields of the Gulf Coast and down in south Texas near Brownsville. Loved me some bacon wrapped dove breasts.
I have not, the lease fields have not been released yet so keep looking for them

mike243

Leased fields are always released a few days before the season starts, sometimes the fields are ready other times they are not, last few years very few birds on the leased fields but 1 farmer and friends were hunting next to his leased field and had all the birds there, very few in the leased , They had bush hogged standing corn at some point and they shot most of the day

XCR-2

We should all get together members of this forum and put our money together to lease a big field or fields and have a members only hunt. With the planting knowledge on here we would pull every dove in the state 😂

M T Pockets 000

I
Leased fields are always released a few days before the season starts, sometimes the fields are ready other times they are not, last few years very few birds on the leased fields but 1 farmer and friends were hunting next to his leased field and had all the birds there, very few in the leased , They had bush hogged standing corn at some point and they shot most of the day
I was very disappointed with that field. Sadly I did not see a TWRA officer. If I had he would have gotten an earful of how skunked up that field was

M T Pockets 000

I will say this in defense of the TWRA fields. Up until last season's skunk field I have been very happy with the fields. Yes, some are crowded and an occasional low bird shot will happen. I am probably the world's worst dove shot. Love shoot at em. Can't hit em but love to shoot at em. Most public fields can be hunted as long as the hunter treats other hunters with courtesy and respect.

Iglow

You would think with the demand that's out there some folks would cash in and have shoots or the TWRA would have some kind of program encouraging/assisting land owners to have private pay shoots? 30 years ago I and nobody I know had any problem finding multiple pay shoots,probably a lawyer/liability thing now?

yellalinehunter

You would think with the demand that's out there some folks would cash in and have shoots or the TWRA would have some kind of program encouraging/assisting land owners to have private pay shoots? 30 years ago I and nobody I know had any problem finding multiple pay shoots,probably a lawyer Up to 40 acres. Think it's 75 per acre planted and 25$ extra for wheat.
You would think with the demand that's out there some folks would cash in and have shoots or the TWRA would have some kind of program encouraging/assisting land owners to have private pay shoots? 30 years ago I and nobody I know had any problem finding multiple pay shoots,probably a lawyer/liability thing now?
They do. 75$ per acre plus 25$ if you top sow wheat. Up to 40 acres. I agree that the liability is the hang up for the most part