Finally, trees hitting the ground

BSK

After all the wet spring conditions, the loggers are finally able to work at my place. Got my first timber check yesterday. Timber prices are holding well.

Keep cutting those trees! I need the regrowth...

Jarred525

Good deal, I am late as usual but working on trying to line someone up for a 12 acre clearcut in July or August.

What type of timber you cutting?

BSK

Jarred525 said:

50 total acres in 3-5 acre patches (14 total patches). Removing everything except white, red and black oak smaller than 12 inches DBH.

Maximizing regrowth while keeping oak "seed trees" for rebuilding an oak-dominated forest.

Jarred525

BSK said:
Jarred525 said:

50 total acres in 3-5 acre patches (14 total patches). Removing everything except white, red and black oak smaller than 12 inches DBH.

Maximizing regrowth while keeping oak "seed trees" for rebuilding an oak-dominated forest.

In my 10 to 12 acre tract, I have some red oak I am debating on keeping that were in the 60 inch DBH range. I am still trying to decide if I am going to cut them. My goal with the tract is as a sanctuary so I know leaving them will leave some open areas in the tract. Thoughts to sway me one way or the other? :)

I think I have found someone who will come in and log everything including junk. I am going to talk to a landowner to see if he liked dealing with the logger.

I may add another 10 acre tract if that is what it takes to get the logger in. Also debating having pines brought in and planted to some extent. Found someone who will do 10 acres for $750 (to include cost of seedlings). I have a good recommendation on this guy.

I'll PM you with one other question. Thanks as always for your advice.

megalomaniac

Plenty of time for browse to grow before hunting season. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel over the browse on the 4 month old cutovers :)

JCDEERMAN

I'm in the same shoes BSK! They moved all their equipment back up to our place this past weekend and started logging...FINALLY, because of the wet spring. We are cutting about 70 acres in about 5-10 acre patches (I wanted smaller patches, but my dad wanted it "easier for them"). So whatever, it will still be better than what we had. They are cutting everything bigger than 12" DBH and we went around and marked a few big white and red oaks as well. I wanna put my stands up, but I'm gonna wait to see what I can see before I put them up. I have a feeling that this year is gonna be GOOD! We will see after this years' deer season. I just hope they can get most of it done :)

BSK

megalomaniac said:
Plenty of time for browse to grow before hunting season. It'll be like shooting fish in a barrel over the browse on the 4 month old cutovers :)

Actually, I doubt we'll see much regrowth in cuts started in June. Generally you have to have sunlight on the ground starting in early spring to really get much usable regrowth.

However, what we will have is downed tree-tops. I've asked the logger NOT to clean these up. We want them left in the cuts. Since these tops will hold their dead leaves through their first winter, deer will use them for bedding cover.

Jarred525

BSK said:
Jarred525 said:

BSK, One other question I thought of. When you say removing everything, i assume he is cutting pulp or junk as well? What about your small non oak trees, say less than 12 inch DBH?

I am hoping whomever I line up will indeed cut everything to include pulp or junk. If they leave the less than 12 inch DBH junk stuff, I thought I might go in with some Arsenal in September and kill those trees.

BSK

In this cut, we are cutting out everything that is not a white, red or black oak. We are trying to maximize sunlight on the ground hence maximize regrowth, and we would have cut absolutely every tree in these cuts, but the deer density would not allow oak regeneration. In essence, deer would eat all the white/red oak stump sprouts, and we have cut an oak forest only to end up with a regenerating forest of poplar and sycamore (less desireable saplings for browsing by deer). Oak regeneration from acorns produces many times more oak saplings than relying purely on stump sprouting.

We will be following behind the loggers and cutting down any non-oak trees the loggers didn't take.

BowGuy84

BSK, request, could we get some pics? Befores if possible, and afters for sure. Id like to see what you are having them leave it looking like. Do you have pics of any areas that were cut like this say 3 years ago? Thanks and good luck.

Jarred525

BSK said:
In this cut, we are cutting out everything that is not a white, red or black oak. We are trying to maximize sunlight on the ground hence maximize regrowth, and we would have cut absolutely every tree in these cuts, but the deer density would not allow oak regeneration. In essence, deer would eat all the white/red oak stump sprouts, and we have cut an oak forest only to end up with a regenerating forest of poplar and sycamore (less desireable saplings for browsing by deer). Oak regeneration from acorns produces many times more oak saplings than relying purely on stump sprouting.

We will be following behind the loggers and cutting down any non-oak trees the loggers didn't take.

Thanks, would be interested in hearing how things turn out over the next few weeks.

Latest posts