Finally, trees hitting the ground

BSK

Jarred525 said:
BSK said:
Jarred525,

One of the great things about Arsenal is it can be sprayed right over young pines without harm. In fact, that was what the herbicide was designed for--reducing hardwood sapling competition in industrial pine plantations. It has since been improved to enhance forage production for wildlife while still providing the orginal benefit of helping pine production.

I would spray your young pine plantations in late summer/early fall (late September is best) the second year after they are planted.

Thanks, the main thing I am concerned about with my pine planting is access to the pines for spraying. The guy who plants them will plant them without having to move treetops. Then you have stumps scattered around, etc... Not sure what I would do?

Use a back-pack sprayer and spray by hand. A lot of work, but I think you would be pleased with the results.

Jarred525

BSK said:
Jarred525 said:
BSK said:
Jarred525,

One of the great things about Arsenal is it can be sprayed right over young pines without harm. In fact, that was what the herbicide was designed for--reducing hardwood sapling competition in industrial pine plantations. It has since been improved to enhance forage production for wildlife while still providing the orginal benefit of helping pine production.

I would spray your young pine plantations in late summer/early fall (late September is best) the second year after they are planted.

Thanks, the main thing I am concerned about with my pine planting is access to the pines for spraying. The guy who plants them will plant them without having to move treetops. Then you have stumps scattered around, etc... Not sure what I would do?

Use a back-pack sprayer and spray by hand. A lot of work, but I think you would be pleased with the results.

I was afraid that was the answer :) Will definitely be worth it though.

BSK

smstone22 said:
BSK said:
All depends on the grade.
I realize that. I just ask because Im hearing grade 1 white oak is at $800 a thousand at home.

That's exactly what is being paid by the mill my logger is using. With the check, my logger sends me a printout listing every log, it's grade, what is being paid for that quality log, the board-feet from that log, and what was paid for the log.

Now some of the grade code numbers I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to have to ask the logger what those grade codes mean.

Jarred525

Well, I got in touch with a logger I had a reference on. I am supposed to call him next Monday and meet either next week or weekend. Here is my list of questions I am going to ask him:

1.) Are you insured? Can you show proof of insurance.
2.) I have spoken to a reference that is about 3 years old. They dealt with the father who owned the operation. They highly regarded the father and said if I dealt with him no worries. If the father is not involved in the operation anymore, I am going to ask for a current reference. I spoke to the son the other day.
3.) Financial arrangement? I think it will be 50/50. Going to ask if they provide paperwork from the sawmill on $ paid out.
4.) On clearcuts, do you cut pulp? How small DBH do you go down to on a clearcut?

Do these questions seem reasonable and am I missing any questions I should ask? Thanks.

BSK

How often will payments be made.

How long do they think it will take them to complete the job (we wrote it into the contract that they could not be cutting timber from September through December [deer season]).

What kind of clean-up do they do afterwards.

Will they level/smooth all roads before they leave.

Will they clear and level the log-loading decks before they leave (if you want to use them for food plots).

Jarred525

BSK, how are things going with your logging? Just curious. I did find a logger I believe. Really like what he has had to say thus far. I meet with him this Saturday morning to look over the place. We decided to wait to early January to start. Teaming up with 2 adjoining landowners to do ~35 acres of clearcut and some selct cut in other areas.

BSK

Other than chronic equipment breakdowns (I think log-skidders spend more time in the shop than they do in the field), things are going well. Timber prices are holding quite high. The only problem the loggers have right now is finding a tracked vehicle that can dag big logs up very, very steep hills!

Boone 58

I was told pine isnt paying enough right now but that hardwood is . They are thinning the hardwood bottoms on our lease as we speak.....

Jarred525

BSK said:
Hardwood prices are exceptionally high right now.
I had been hearing that. Really tough not to go ahead and pull the trigger and get started on ours. We decided that given there is not much time left to deer season to not disturb the area. It will also allow us to get in this winter when things are dormant and mark the areas we want to cut. Fingers are crossed that prices stay high into early next year.

BSK

I can't believe it but 15 truck-loads of trees have come out of this cut yet it hardly looks like they've taken anything. Just a few holes in the canopy. Cut more!!! Daddy needs more cover habitat! ;)

logging4.jpg

logging1.jpg

Jarred525

Nice!

Meet with a logger Saturday on our cut. I really liked him and actually have some more references now to check on him. He is a hunter as well so he understand where I am coming from on how I want to do things. Looking to start late December or early January. Can't wait!

Truedouble

Jarred,

Might negotiate a foodplot per x number of acres cut. With a dozer in the woods I would think most loggers would be fine with spending a little extra time on the dozer.

Truedouble

BSK,

You mentioned that it would be ideal to leave a cluster of trees here and there to drop acorns and create more diversity in liue of leaving one oak here and there. We have one area, and hope to have more as the cutting continues, where they left 5-6 large white oaks in a small area. b/c of the holes, knots and low branches they wouldn't be worth much at the mill so we have asked for those type trees to be left. I'm thinking this will also be an excellent place during bow season and even gun season.

Latest posts