Field and Stream "State of the Deer...

TboneD

So have any of y'all read the article in this month's F&S, entitled, "State of the Deer Union"? The link below is to part of it. Check it out and ask yourself, if or how does TN figure into it. In other words, are you sure history will be kind to the commission if they continue with Unit L?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... il-numbers
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landman

Re: Field and Stream

I don't believe Timber Harvest is down in the South, even on Government land.

80% of the fawns die due to coyotes in the South? Seems high

Should the a doe harvest be reduced in areas, Yes

TboneD

landman":3mmh7mzu said:
I don't believe Timber Harvest is down in the South, even on Government land.

80% of the fawns die due to coyotes in the South? Seems high

Should the a doe harvest be reduced in areas, Yes

For some reason I couldn't get the link to the first part of the article to work. Look it up if you can and I think you'll see relevance to the second part. As for timber harvest decline in the south, I have no idea of the actual #'s. I will tell you that I wish they'd do some more cutting in both Land between the Lakes and Cheatham WMA. But at least they still cut there. In my closest public forest, Cedars of Lebanon State Forest, I'm pretty sure they haven't cut anything in well over a decade now.

As for the coyote population explosion and fawn mortality, personally I wouldn't be surprised. I assume you've heard of the Georgia study where during an area's fawning season, the coyote scat samples collected were 100% deer. I guess that's hard to believe as well. I went scouting during the big snow couple of weeks ago with my nephew. Of the track trails we cut, it was 10 to 1 coyote to deer, no doubt. I've seen a coyote on the heels of a mature buck, so I'm not surprised the coyotes are doing a number on deer.

TboneD

As I said, I couldn't to get the link to work to the first part of the article. Here's the conclusion, though:

"In a recent F&S survey of the country's head deer biologists, 68 percent of respondents said that politics plays too large a role in today's deer-­management policy. Fourteen percent of those said that the influence of politics is at an all-time high. —D.H."

tn24

Are they saying that coyotes kill 80% of the fawns or are they saying that of the ones that do die that coyotes are responsible for 80% of the total number?

TboneD

tn24":1pxfirm3 said:
Are they saying that coyotes kill 80% of the fawns or are they saying that of the ones that do die that coyotes are responsible for 80% of the total number?

The latter. I would think that bobcats are responsible for a good chunk of the other 20%, or at least in some areas.

knightrider

on my areas we loose at least and no less than 65-70% of fawns to coyotes, I know it seems high but its the truth. we cant kill enough coyotes to make a difference, weve had to scale back our kill numbers on deer because we don't have enough fawn recruitment to cover what we kill.

PickettSFHunter

Coyotes are much more of an issue than many of the biologists originally thought. With the timber, in my area, Much more timber has been cut in the last few years than any other time in my life, even on public land, so I'm encouraged by that.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled

I know a logger and he gets small cuts on Cherokee NF land around south holston lake every couple of years. it might be 5-10 acres at a time. every time the forest service puts out bids for timber to be cut, it gets tied up in courts from tree huggers for months to years. Places i grew up hunting in VA, i know of one clear cut that's been done in almost 15 years. Last big clear cut on NF land in VA that i know of, was done near the WV/VA boarder so grad students at VA Tech could do research on it. they had it grid out stakes and string (mess to walk into during the dark). That was 1995. I never felt like it was a disadvantage to hunt NF land in VA, even as a HS kid, i was killing 1-2 deer a year during the 90's.

BSK

TboneD,

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to answer in this thread a question you asked elsewhere, because it is relevant to this discussion. Your question:

TboneD":1d3tknov said:
Regarding your last paragraph and Unit L, I'm of the non-expert opinion that, although the high antlerless limit has rewarded previous high-density areas with healthier deer, OVERALL, it's not the best way to manage the deer herd. From what I've learned of the deer restoration years, deer densities can vary GREATLY between rather close geographical areas, and poaching is cited as one of the reasons. So if the Unit L antlerless limit can result in over-harvest in certain areas as well, why do you think the Commission continues to apply it to so many counties and almost half of our public ground in Unit L, despite what EHD did to the deer...and also the coyote population growth? (By the way, there's an indirect reference to this in this month's Field of Stream article, "The State of the Deer Union".) Do you anticipate a change in Unit L?

I really have no idea if changes will be made to Unit L's 3 doe/day limit. Honestly, I would have no problem if they did so, simply for appearance's sake. The truth of the matter is, hunters aren't really taking advantage of the high doe limits. Look at the harvest numbers. Although for years the annual limit on does has been 250+ but only 3 bucks, the kill numbers male versus female have held pretty close to equal over that time period. This is important when considering that if the number of bucks being killed is not excessive, then the same number of does being killed isn't excessive. And the easiest symptom of overharvest to measure is decreasing age structure. As we saw in the past, when bucks were over-exploited, the buck age structure declined. Now, in Unit L, the buck age structure is increasing, not decreasing, so we are not over-harvesting bucks. So if the number of bucks being killed per year in Unit L is not excessive, then how can the same number of does being killed be excessive?

That said, I have no doubt what-so-ever that does have been overharvested in localized pockets in Unit L. The quickest way to check for that in a local area is to look at the age structure of any harvested does. Are there any mature (4 1/2+) females in the harvest? If there are not, over-harvest is a possibility. On properties where I KNOW female over-harvest occurred, killed doe ages shifted HEAVILY to the youngest age-class. In essence, the vast majority of does being killed each year fell to 2 1/2 and younger does. Mature (4 1/2+) does vanished from the harvest. Once doe harvests were considerably reduced on these properties, within 3 or 4 years, mature does began to show up in the harvest again. I can't stress enough to hunters/managers what a powerful tool harvest doe age structure is for monitoring female over-harvest.

As for some of the other things mentioned in the F&S article, I don't believe TN is seeing habitat loss at a significant enough level to effect deer densities. For me, the big question is predation. Unquestionably, coyotes are impacting fawn survival rates. The real question is, how much? I'm not buying into the idea that coyotes are the reason many have been seeing a long stretch of low fawn recruitment numbers across the TN. I say this because, at least in my part of TN, coyotes have been present in high numbers for 30 years. Yet this problem with fawn survival is somewhat new. In fact, it started right after the big 2007 EHD die-off. 100-120% fawn recruitment numbers were commonplace in Middle TN in the early 2000s, but have fallen WAY off since 2007, and still have not rebounded. They are getting better, but are still running in most places in the 40-75% range. Why they are still low is a complete mystery to me. Coyotes and bobcats play a role, but I just don't buy that somehow coyotes have suddenly started taking far more fawns than they used to. That's a biological possibility, but I've seen no solid theory on why that might occur.

In some areas outside of TN, coyotes are definitely playing a MAJOR role in fawn mortality. I have seen very good data from parts of the Deep South indicating localized fawn losses of 80% to coyotes alone. However, in other Southeastern studies, coyote predation of fawns has been shown to be negligible. So in some areas, coyotes are a MAJOR problem. In others, not much.

TboneD

BSK":2xh4tp5x said:
TboneD,

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to answer in this thread a question you asked elsewhere, because it is relevant to this discussion. Your question:

TboneD":2xh4tp5x said:
Regarding your last paragraph and Unit L, I'm of the non-expert opinion that, although the high antlerless limit has rewarded previous high-density areas with healthier deer, OVERALL, it's not the best way to manage the deer herd. From what I've learned of the deer restoration years, deer densities can vary GREATLY between rather close geographical areas, and poaching is cited as one of the reasons. So if the Unit L antlerless limit can result in over-harvest in certain areas as well, why do you think the Commission continues to apply it to so many counties and almost half of our public ground in Unit L, despite what EHD did to the deer...and also the coyote population growth? (By the way, there's an indirect reference to this in this month's Field of Stream article, "The State of the Deer Union".) Do you anticipate a change in Unit L?

I really have no idea if changes will be made to Unit L's 3 doe/day limit. Honestly, I would have no problem if they did so, simply for appearance's sake. The truth of the matter is, hunters aren't really taking advantage of the high doe limits. Look at the harvest numbers. Although for years the annual limit on does has been 250+ but only 3 bucks, the kill numbers male versus female have held pretty close to equal over that time period. This is important when considering that if the number of bucks being killed is not excessive, then the same number of does being killed isn't excessive. And the easiest symptom of overharvest to measure is decreasing age structure. As we saw in the past, when bucks were over-exploited, the buck age structure declined. Now, in Unit L, the buck age structure is increasing, not decreasing, so we are not over-harvesting bucks. So if the number of bucks being killed per year in Unit L is not excessive, then how can the same number of does being killed be excessive?

That said, I have no doubt what-so-ever that does have been overharvested in localized pockets in Unit L. The quickest way to check for that in a local area is to look at the age structure of any harvested does. Are there any mature (4 1/2+) females in the harvest? If there are not, over-harvest is a possibility. On properties where I KNOW female over-harvest occurred, killed doe ages shifted HEAVILY to the youngest age-class. In essence, the vast majority of does being killed each year fell to 2 1/2 and younger does. Mature (4 1/2+) does vanished from the harvest. Once doe harvests were considerably reduced on these properties, within 3 or 4 years, mature does began to show up in the harvest again. I can't stress enough to hunters/managers what a powerful tool harvest doe age structure is for monitoring female over-harvest.

As for some of the other things mentioned in the F&S article, I don't believe TN is seeing habitat loss at a significant enough level to effect deer densities. For me, the big question is predation. Unquestionably, coyotes are impacting fawn survival rates. The real question is, how much? I'm not buying into the idea that coyotes are the reason many have been seeing a long stretch of low fawn recruitment numbers across the TN. I say this because, at least in my part of TN, coyotes have been present in high numbers for 30 years. Yet this problem with fawn survival is somewhat new. In fact, it started right after the big 2007 EHD die-off. 100-120% fawn recruitment numbers were commonplace in Middle TN in the early 2000s, but have fallen WAY off since 2007, and still have not rebounded. They are getting better, but are still running in most places in the 40-75% range. Why they are still low is a complete mystery to me. Coyotes and bobcats play a role, but I just don't buy that somehow coyotes have suddenly started taking far more fawns than they used to. That's a biological possibility, but I've seen no solid theory on why that might occur.

In some areas outside of TN, coyotes are definitely playing a MAJOR role in fawn mortality. I have seen very good data from parts of the Deep South indicating localized fawn losses of 80% to coyotes alone. However, in other Southeastern studies, coyote predation of fawns has been shown to be negligible. So in some areas, coyotes are a MAJOR problem. In others, not much.

Thanks so much for your time.Herd age structure is very interesting and I only wish that the TWRA had more to go on.

Headhunter

BSK, I have seen you post many times that the age of a doe killed makes no difference, so long it is a doe. I have never agreed with it, but I have seen you post it many times. Now the age structure of does is important? The farms I have been asked to shoot does on, we were not only asked, but told to shoot mature does only. Once enough were killed, no more does were shot until needed and again, only mature does. This is what I have done on many properties in Tennessee for many years and beyond the shadow of a doubt it has helped the buck killing on those farms. Just wondering your opinion on what does hunters should be killing statewide in Tennessee or if you feel it makes no difference so long it is a doe (which can be especially chancy when shooting at a lone antlerless deer).

DRSJ35

I think TWRA needs to have a better check in procedure at there check stations at least.When i check in a deer it only asks for points and or sex and where it was taken.I dont see how you can get very good age structure or Health of the herd by answering those questions.I think they should have a way to weigh them at the check stations.Age and weight would be a starter to better manage a herd.I know twra is at check stations opening weekend of regular gun.But i and most people hunt all year long.Im not bashing them just something ive thought about after checking in deer.

BSK

DRSJ35":thm4nz5b said:
I think TWRA needs to have a better check in procedure at there check stations at least.When i check in a deer it only asks for points and or sex and where it was taken.I dont see how you can get very good age structure or Health of the herd by answering those questions.

That's not where they get the information from DRSJ35. On the opening weekend of MZ season and gun season, TWRA biological staff and wildlife student helpers man as many check stations as they can (but it's still less than one check station per county) and actually physically measure/age any deer brought in. That data, collected by personnel trained in the process, is the only data used for age, antler measurement, and weight data. Having worked with clubs where hunters take measurements themselves, I promise you we don't want hunters providing detailed data like that.

But sadly, because hunters aren't using check-stations much anymore, the volume of data collected by the TWRA on those two weekends is declining, which very well might put the value of data in question if the numbers shrink much more than they are now.

Mike Belt

Concerning fawn recruitment.... I understand that for the most part hunter observation is a poor indicator. If I happen to hunt an area where I'm not seeing many does at all I can't assume that we've shot too many and their numbers are way down (although I still question that). When most of the does I do see are without fawns what am I supposed to think of that?

BSK

Mike Belt":1j2grfkm said:
Concerning fawn recruitment.... I understand that for the most part hunter observation is a poor indicator. If I happen to hunt an area where I'm not seeing many does at all I can't assume that we've shot too many and their numbers are way down (although I still question that). When most of the does I do see are without fawns what am I supposed to think of that?

Mike,

When assessing doe numbers and fawn recruitment data, I prefer to only use data from black-flash cameras over food sources. Over the years, I've found that data source to produce the most reliable numbers. And I specify black-flash because, in heavily pressured deer populations, even the does learn to avoid daylight movement, hence most of the pictures are going to be at night, and I don't like the long-term results of any visible flash camera, including red-glow.

DRSJ35

I see where your coming from BSK. I didn't think about data being flawed from untrained people taking the measurement's i agree.

Latest posts